Higher Racial Ability

Bihor

First Post
With all the discution of the elf racial substitution level for wizard, in RotW, and that the elf is not a good wizard, it got me thinking.

Most of the rases are renouwn to have a good good ability score, Dwarf have a good Con, Halfling a good Dex, all to help with there Favorit class.
But there +2 racial bonus only give you a +1, it is not much to make you stand out with the other races.

I was thinking to make all the races stand out, add a other +2 to some score for all the character races.
Dwarf +2 Con
Elf +2 Int for the favorit class
Halfling +2 Dex
Half-Orc +2 to Cha or Int to eliminate the negative score
Half-Elf +2 Dex
Human +1 to any one score
Gnome +2 Cha for the favorit class

I like to know what you think of that idea.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
If all the races are modified the same way (an extra +2 bonus), then there should be no problem. They should end up slightly more powerful than the standard races, but probably not enough to be really noticeable.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I've altered most of the core races in my games similarly, though I've given extra penalties out, too.

Humans: No adjustment.
Half-Elf: +2 Dex -2 Con
Half-Orc: +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Elf: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha (FG is Ranger/Wizard)
Dwarf: -2 Dex, +2 Con
Gnome: -2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis (FG is Bard/Druid)
Halfling: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Cha (FG is Scout/Rogue)

Favored Gestalt comes with an XP bonus, so the ability boost to mental stats isn't as big a help as it would be otherwise.

For non-standard races, I haven't made as many changes, though I improved the ability scores for all of the Planetouched, and I gave Genasi actual energy resistances on top of their saving throw bonuses. (Why can a Tiefling sleep in the campfire while a Fire Genasi cannot?)

Biggest change is Kobold: -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha, FG Rogue/Sorceror.

For balance, I compare them to Gnomes, who have two caster classes that also hand out a bunch of cool special abilities. Kobolds are more proficient in one spellcaster class, but they get far fewer supernatural abilities.

Remove ads