Highlander Rewatch

Zardnaar

Legend
There can be only one. I'm talking about the TV show.

Currently doing a Highlander rewatch. It's on Amazon prime. Also rewatched the original movie.

It screened from 1992-98 iirc. I was 14 it 15 when I watched it and I loved the theme song Princes of the Universe.

It's quite cheesy but kinda enjoying it. Season one is a bit spotty but season two starts developing a metaplot and the secondary characters.

It does follow a bit of a formula. Villain of the week, flashbacks to a previous point in history. Probably fails all sorts of purity tests. For example the women in it tend to be more like Bond girls.

Its quite clever in some ways if expanding the Highlander films. For example it has a lot if morality type episodes or the difficulty of being an immortal from the female point of view eg your husband gets old and dies. It covers things like new immortals being created and child immortals.

Adrian Paul in the lead does a reasonable job and has a bit of charisma. Acting can be cheesy here and there.

There's also a lot of faces from guest actors that turn up in Babylon 5, Star Trek, Farscape, Star Gate, Continuum etc.

IMDB gives it a 7.2/10 and this is a fair score imho. It's not great although a few episodes are very good but it's better than what I thought it would be.

pukunui

Legend
I liked the original movie, although it is very dated now. The second movie was awful and ruined everything that made the first one good.

I still think it's funny, though, how they had a Scotsman playing a Spaniard with a Scottish accent and a Frenchman playing a Scotsman with a French accent. LOL.

Zardnaar

Legend
I liked the original movie, although it is very dated now. The second movie was awful and ruined everything that made the first one good.

I still think it's funny, though, how they had a Scotsman playing a Spaniard with a Scottish accent and a Frenchman playing a Scotsman with a French accent. LOL.

Yeah lol. TV show seems to have aged better.

They're quite good at world building and character development.

Amanda and Metho's add something to the show.

The last season and a half or so lost its verve. The best villain was Kalas, though the Horsemen were intriguing. The few forays into, like, demons and such didn't really fit. And then they basically spent the last season doing backdoor pilots for a spin-off, before finally doing Highlander Raven.

My mom had that one on DVD. For about fifteen years. She never opened the boxed set. Elizabeth Gracen was awesome, but the show's material just wasn't that inspired, and the male lead was cable chaff.

Zardnaar

Legend
The last season and a half or so lost its verve. The best villain was Kalas, though the Horsemen were intriguing. The few forays into, like, demons and such didn't really fit. And then they basically spent the last season doing backdoor pilots for a spin-off, before finally doing Highlander Raven.

My mom had that one on DVD. For about fifteen years. She never opened the boxed set. Elizabeth Gracen was awesome, but the show's material just wasn't that inspired, and the male lead was cable chaff.

Yeah I vaguely remember it going to crap towards the end.

Amanda via Grace stole the show.

Watching the horseman episodes.

Kalas was good, season 3-5 was the peak I suppose.

Remove ads