His Dark Materials (tv)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
New BBC series this Sunday on BBC1. Hopefully better than the film!

(Don’t know when international folks get it.)

drl2

Explorer
I wasn't even a big fan of the books, though I can't really pinpoint why. Maybe they felt like they were trying too hard to be the anti-Narnia. Didn't care for the movie, either.

... and yet, I'm looking forward hopefully to this TV series.

Janx

Hero
I liked the concept of the first one. And the writing is fine. The plotting however...

What kills it is the dramatic swing to now the father's a hero and off to kill god which had nothing to do with any of the stuff we saw in the first book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well I haven’t read the books, but I loved this first episode!

Very Harry Potter in look and tone.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I wasn't even a big fan of the books, though I can't really pinpoint why. Maybe they felt like they were trying too hard to be the anti-Narnia. Didn't care for the movie, either.

... and yet, I'm looking forward hopefully to this TV series.
I liked the first books, and felt utterly let down by the later ones. I was warned off the movie so I can't comment on it.

But, like you, I'm looking forward to this. I hope it's good.

Finished watching the first episode last night. Good stuff. I was a little concerned about the casting, because I thought the movie's was so spot-on. But so far it's been really great.

I wonder how long they plan on running - will one book equal one season?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the books -- how many are there? I saw the film a few years back but didn't get on with it. Enjoyed this first episode a lot.

Remove ads