His Dark Materials (tv)

Though there are some related works (including a prequel series, which I haven't gotten to yet), the core series is just three. They're all pretty quick reads, too.

I'm not familiar with the books -- how many are there? I saw the film a few years back but didn't get on with it. Enjoyed this first episode a lot.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I very much enjoyed the books, although the shift in tone and style after the first book is quite a bit jarring. What's important are the characters, who are very very well written and complex and three-dimensional in the sense that characters continue to surprise you in ways that don't actually feel out of character later on.

I actually rather liked the first movie, it had basically the perfect cast; but the decision to hack off the ending pretty much killed it. Haven't caught the first episode of the show yet but I'm looking forward to it

GreyLord

Legend
I'm not familiar with the books -- how many are there? I saw the film a few years back but didn't get on with it. Enjoyed this first episode a lot.

The books, I believe, were rated the third best series of (young adult?) books in the UK a little while back (though the author does not put them as young adult, adult, or any other categorization in that regard).

I imagine they will be a major series that professors in the future force youngsters to read who haven't read them previously.

I watched the series (with what Morrus said) in regards to liking it. I didn't find it very Harry Potter like to my own thoughts (the books probably fall closer in line I imagine).

I liked the intro and the music with it, but the show itself I found rather boring. Maybe it's just how I like things these days with their action and fast pacing...this was noticeably slower than that. To me it felt a lot like they were simply adding filler to it.

On the otherhand, it's sort of like those old hallmark mini-series, and in a way this is (I believe it will only be 8 episodes and probably all based off of the first book of the trilogy, so based on a book like most miniseries and around the same length as a particularly long miniseries). It can go more in depth to many areas which a shorter film can not, but does not (hopefully) deviate from the material as much as a full on 26 episode season would.

The actors are all top notch, I just found myself bored. During the first episode, after the first 15 minutes I started to wonder if anything much was going to happen during the episode....and...not much did really. A nice little revelation and some build up at the end, but not much movement. The second episode has had more movement on it, but still feels like a slow build.

I feel what they are doing is building slowly and then will have a hectic last one or two episodes where everything seems to occur at once.

Larnievc

Hero
I really like the show. And I like the English brevity. Can’t imagine it being stretched out over 24 episodes.

I do hope it makes a better fist of the battle in Geaven than the books did.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I watched the first episode too and liked it, I especially liked that I could actually follow the story whereas the movie just confused me no end. Intend to keep watching

(also havent read the books)

Remove ads