OD&D Hit Point progression for demi humans

Athelstaine

Explorer
I am getting ready to run a game set during the 30 years war era. I plan on using the different races to supplant the real world factions of the Catholic/Protestant beliefs. I am using the Rules Compendium as the base rule set. The question I have is this, Do the demi humans gain additional hp after reaching their level cap.

Fore example, dwarves cap out at 12th. They gain 1d8 up to 9th and only +3 there after. So once they hit 12th, is that it? They gain access to additional combat options at differing xp thresholds beyond 12th, but they are still considered 12th level regardless. I am thinking of letting them gain additional hp. I just do not see any clear statement in the compendium on this.

Thank you for your time.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yep, no more hit points after the maximum level. I have seen house rules that grant an extra level at each attack rank though, if you want them to have more hit points you could do the same.

GreyLord

Legend
I am getting ready to run a game set during the 30 years war era. I plan on using the different races to supplant the real world factions of the Catholic/Protestant beliefs. I am using the Rules Compendium as the base rule set. The question I have is this, Do the demi humans gain additional hp after reaching their level cap.

Fore example, dwarves cap out at 12th. They gain 1d8 up to 9th and only +3 there after. So once they hit 12th, is that it? They gain access to additional combat options at differing xp thresholds beyond 12th, but they are still considered 12th level regardless. I am thinking of letting them gain additional hp. I just do not see any clear statement in the compendium on this.

Thank you for your time.

With just the RC,the HP listed is what they get...so no more HP for Dwarves after 12th or Elves after 10th...etc.

HOWEVER...

I can't recall exactly where it was in BECMI, but a wish could also grant them one more level of HP if they so wished it, or give them one more level up. Thus a Dwarf could get to level 13 (and get that +3 more HP that way) or an Elf gains level 11 (and probably the next level of spell casting as per the wizard).

That wasn't necessarily the end of their power or advancements still...

There were other sourcebooks for BECMI (and the RC is basically just collecting all the rules from BECM) that had NPC classes (which might be taken by PCs) for the Demi-Humans. Dwarves were pretty much out of luck as they could be Dwarf Clerics up to 12th level, but Elves could continue to gain spellcasting up to level 20, and Halflings could become Masters all the way up to level 36 while gaining Druidic like spells.

Of course with those sourcebooks you could also get Orcs and Half-Orcs, as well as other races you could play...it's been awhile on those for me though.

Athelstaine

Explorer
Yep, after further reading I finally found it. On p. 129 of the RC, it plainly states it. No more hp. I have all the old books on PDF, so I will dig through them for more options to add/use. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Have a good day.

Remove ads