D&D 5E Hitting Yuan-Ti PC's with the Nerf Bat

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I intend to keep Magic Resistance as a racial feat. Perhaps the other Trait they don't pick at 1st level can become a racial feat they can pick later, too.

Keravath

Explorer
Just a quick reply ...

"Looking at the Pureblood PC traits, I've come to the conclusion that everyone else has, that the trait "Resistant to Magical Effects" is way overpowered, even if it appears on all Yuan-Ti. "

I'd just like to say that there are many out there who do NOT think it is way overpowered.

I've played a couple of yuan-ti characters - one is level 10 and the other 17. The magic resistance has never been an issue, "way overpowered" or otherwise a problem in any game I have played in with these characters or in any game I have played where others had yuan-ti characters. As a racial trait it is a bit better than most and that is all I can say for it. The variant human getting a feat at level 1 is often stronger than this feature (depending on the feat).

The magic resistance makes it more likely to make saves you would likely make already and helps a bit with ones that you would likely fail. However, if you are non-proficient, you are often still more likely to fail the save than not even with advantage.

Anyway, if you have actually played or DMed with yuan-ti characters in the party through tier 2 and tier 3 and believe this feature to be "way overpowered" then by all means homebrew a replacement. On the other hand, if you haven't actually played a game with this feature then perhaps try playing with it and see how it works in practice before preemptively nerfing it.

P.S. As for the suggested replacements, they are pretty much the same as those listed in Volo's and can replace or be added to the base yuan-ti as you like so I don't see any issue with them.

Last edited:

Remove ads