Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Prologue

Brother Dave

First Post
Rolen snatches his hands back and steps away from the cage when the human wakes in a panic.

"C..calm down, please. There is no need to panic. The gnolls are dead, and the only kobolds we've seen are dead as well."

He examines at the cage from a safe distance, trying to locate the locking mechanism. "I think one of my...associates said something about finding some keys? Rolen looks imploringly at Erevan for help. Perhaps one of them will open this cage?"
[sblock]Is pink any better?[/sblock]

Last edited:

mips42

Adventurer
Everan rushes over to te cage and produces the keys he found elsewhere. 'hopefully one of these will open this thing. If not, we may have to try to bend the bars or find some other way to get you out.'
Erevan will try each of the keys to see if one will open the cage.

epicbob

Explorer
Robert Weaving

Hearing what Erevan says, Robert replies : "If your keys don't work, I can try freezing the lock so it becomes brittle...hopefully."

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
One of the larger keys fits the cage door and with a little bit of effort the rusted door swings open.

"Oh, thank you, thank you"
says the captive as he carefully clambers out. "I'm Lirric. I came here last night hoping to find inspiration... what an idiot! Caught by those gnolls and bundled into this awful cage. I was sure they were going to torture me... or eat me..."

He picks up the broken remnants of his flute from the bottom of the cage, a look of loss on his face.

"Well... this won't be easy to replace. Genuine duskwood flute - family heirloom in fact. *sigh*. At least I still have my wits... and my skin."

Lirric looks around the area, surveying the carnage and destruction.

"So it seems that band of kobolds and their friends did a thorough job. The attack came in the small hours of the morning. They swept through here and struck without warning - had some huge dragon-thing with them, size of a horse. The gnolls were took completely by surprise. Not that I feel any sympathy. My cage came loose when one of the gnolls slammed into it, and I guess I banged my head..."

Brother Dave

First Post
Rolen backs off when Erevan opens the cage and Lirric emerges, then presses forward eagerly at the mention of dragons.

"Dragon thing? Can you describe it? What color were it's scales? Did it have wings?"

industrygothica

Adventurer
"I think it's time to get out of here," Renestrae says. "Walk and talk, if you're able. Let's get you back to your love. Be warned though, her father might not be as forgiving as the gnolls!"

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Lirric takes a few faltering steps, stumbling briefly before finding his feet.

"The dragon-beast... it was the size of a horse. Long, serpentine but with four legs. No wings, though. Dark grey... or green scales, I think. There was an elf, I think, driving it forward with a whip. It scattered the gnolls, and the kobolds picked them off in the confusion, Then it slunk away into the trees while the mopped up the surviving gnolls."

Rolen:
[sblock]Sounds like a passable description of a drake of some kind - not a true dragon.[/sblock]

Robert:
[sblock]You've never known the cult to make use of tamed dragon-beasts before. If true, this would be a startling new development - this splinter group has become more powerful than you had expected.[/sblock]

"If we are all done here, I would indeed be eager to return to Shad's Copse, and to Marie. She'll be worried sick! And... eh... I'm sure her father will be pleased to see me too. Perhaps he will wipe my bar tab clean if he hears of the harrowing experience I've been through..."

[Once everyone's happy that we're all done with the gnoll camp, I'll fast forward time a bit, you can have an overnight rest to level up and regain spells, then I'll get everyone on the way to Greenest so we can start the adventure proper.]

Brother Dave

First Post
"Hmm..sounds like some kind of drake to me. That certainly explains some of the marks on the bodies." He shudders. "Not as bad as a true dragon, but bad enough in their own way. Quite vicious, I am given to understand. Though they are supposedly somewhat trainable, though - I've read that kobolds and other dragonkin often use them like guard dogs. Or for hunting down prey."

A thought occurs to him, and he looks around in alarm. "You...you don't suppose they're still around here somewhere, do you? As much as I would cherish the opportunity to study one in person, I should very much prefer to do so from the other side of some thick metal bars!" He shoulders his pack and checks his weapons and shield. "Perhaps you are right...we should be going now. Yes, I'm quite interested in seeing this town you all have spoken of. And of course I must check on Mr. and Mrs. Hoptodd..."

Remove ads