Holding a charge and spell conditions

Faskill

First Post
I thought about it but there aren't usually 12 days gaps between the adventures (in game time) so my character won't have the time to craft an item for himself without being excluded from the group

Greenfield

Adventurer
12 days?

Crafting adds a maximum of 1,000 gp per day of work to an item, but item values range from minor to incredible. The time needed to craft something is in no way fixed.

Further, you can craft in 1 day increments, which lets you adventure for a week, work on your Gauntlets of Ultimate Niftyness for a day, then adventure some more. You may need two weeks worth of crafting time, but those 14 days don't need to be taken one right after another.

That having been said, your long term goal should be to make peace with your DM. Crafting items may not serve that purpose.

A rather pricey choice, but if you have time, id invest in a ring of spell turning.

SRD:Ring of Spell Turning - D&D Wiki

It would certainly make you harder to dispell if you can afford 98,280 gold.

If you go to a metropolis, or a very large city, and keep rolling gather information checks (Heck take a 20) There would have to be something odd or unnatural stopping shops from stocking an item of that price.

Empirate

First Post
Investing 100,000 gp in a ring when a mere 4,000 are enough? Why Spell Turning when Ring of Counterspells does the job just fine?

Maybe even get a Spellblade enchanted weapon - it's a +1 enchantment that allows immunity to a single spell chosen at the time of the item's creation. Spellblade (Dispel Magic) has been a staple of my campaign bosses for some time now.

[The party's Conjurer surprised me pretty hard with Arcane Turmoil in last campaign's bossfight though...]

Binho

First Post
You could go for Craft Contingency Spell feat. Just use the minimum caster level and you will be crafting only for 2 or 3 days. I don't know for sure, but I think the day of craft is considered 8 hours of work.

I made a build that seems like your build here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/315250-martial-arcanist-build-2.html
Search for Draconic Punch. Of course, this don't count all your limitations, but you could use for some inspiration.

The real thing is that monk/arcane caster suck, but it's fun and has flavor to play. You must optimize it to make it playable and, this way, DMs doesn't see with good eyes your character.

Last edited:

Binho

First Post
Hello,

I am currently playing a game that has some real problems... I'm playing a Human 1Monk/4Sorcerer/7 Enlightened Fist and have very low BAB, what's more the GM has decided to enforce a rule that negates base save bonuses so my character is in a pretty bad shape. Last but not least, he won't give me any custom monk items (Monk belt) so I'm pretty much a level 12 nude character.

I've been working on some way to make it better, using the spell Polymorph.

My way of doing normal damage is to use the spell polymorph to turn into a treant, so basically at the beginning of the fight I would cast enlarge on myself (1 wasted turn) so that I can fill the SIZE REQUIREMENTS of the polymorph spell (only +1 size) and then cast polymorph on myself (another wasted turn). Then I cast haste on myself (another wasted turn) to be finally able to do some real damage without risking to die.

My question is : would it be possible to use Enlarge on myself out of combat then cast polymorph on my hand (it's a touch spell). Then I'd like to "hold the charge" as long as possible (after the ending of Enlarge) to be able to "win" effectively 2 rounds in a fight. Do the requirements of the spell are taken into account when the spell is cast or when the "touch" is made?

Thanks in advance

Actually, you could let your familiar hold the charge for you and, when combat starts use it's action to buff you with the touch spell.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
So, your DM is enforcing the fractional saves rule from Unearthed Arcana? Is he also enforcing the fractional BAB rule (which would undoubtedly give you at least +1 BAB over what the normal rules would have)? The two are supposed to come as a package deal...

Faskill

First Post
Well no he's enforcing his OWN RULES apparently, I'm not sure that he's read UA since he doesn't speak English.

Actually I've had the exact same idea Binho ! Thanks anyways ;)

Remove ads