Pathfinder 1E Holes in the Rules [Forked Thread: Interview with PATHFINDER lead designer]

Roman

First Post
Forked from: Interview with PATHFINDER lead designer Jason Bulmahn

Roman said:
Although I have never had a situation come up where I felt I needed specific rules for stairs, I definitely think that there are several glaring holes in D&D rules for situations that do turn up fairly often - certainly often enough to justify some sort of rules-treatment.

The biggest hole in D&D rules for me is the lack of rules for running/chases/escapes and so on. Technically speaking, rules for running exist, but they are so suckastic that I don't even count them. These rules cannot be used for any exciting chases/escapes/pursuits and so on, because they are determnistic and give essentially all medium creatures the same speed. This comes up so often in my games that I have actually come up with my own system (compatible with the standard D&D system) for this and codified it for my games.

Another hole is the lack of rules for sleep - what happens when characters miss sleep and how difficult it is to avoid falling asleep. This doesn't come up as often as the chase/escape/pursuit/race issue, so I adjudicate it on an ad-hoc basis rather than creating an integrated/unified system as I did for racing/escapes and so on, but it does come up fairly often - probably often enough to justify a few lines in the rules.

Ironically, though, I am now so happy with my running/racing/chase/escape/pursuit system that if this glaring hole in the D&D rules were to be patched, I would almost certainly keep on using my own system - so you could say that I no longer want it to be patched (unless, of course, my rules were used, ha ha ha ;) ) so that players don't expect the default. :-S

So anyway, that's my take on it. Are there any other major holes in the rules that you perceive need to be patched up?

Wicht

Hero
Better rules for running businesses is the one that comes to mind for me. Though such rules are anathema to some game-styles.

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Better rules for running businesses is the one that comes to mind for me. Though such rules are anathema to some game-styles.

Rules for businesses are not in the Pathfinder RPG, but this is an issue we have discussed around the office, so I would not be surprised to see this issue addressed soon.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Wicht

Hero
Rules for businesses are not in the Pathfinder RPG, but this is an issue we have discussed around the office, so I would not be surprised to see this issue addressed soon.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

I brought up the issue myself on the Paizo boards some months back when my daughter's wizard bought the Rusty Dragon. I seem to remember someone official mentioning that they thought it deserved an eventual treatment.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I brought up the issue myself on the Paizo boards some months back when my daughter's wizard bought the Rusty Dragon. I seem to remember someone official mentioning that they thought it deserved an eventual treatment.

I have only seen pretty weak rules for it so far in other sources.

I have used AL QADIM from 2nd edition to run businesses, but it is extremely rudimentary.

I also use the river trade system that was on Death on the Reik. I would actually love to see good merchanting rules in Pathfinder. All the other stuff they did is great.

Roman

First Post

Although my gamestyle generally would not need such rules, I can certainly see why these could be important for some gamestyles. :)

Remove ads