Holiday ideas

W

WizO_Nashira

**posted to the board in a somewhat messy script that looks like a person with good handwriting skills got lazy is this note**

After taking care of some current business, I hope to get away for a long holiday. However I'm not certain where to go. I'd appreciate any suggestions and information on places that you would recommend.

Thanks!
Marshall Nashira

A

Agudo Archmage

Travel Guide by Agudo

portlongagudo.gif

Artwork copyright © 2003, Gordon R. Quigley

Chomping on some freshly made Hobbit bread dripping with butter. Agudo and his loyal companion Lady Hoot, the wise white owl. Were leisurely looking at the notices for today, when the Archmage of Light; saw one in particular that made him smile.

He snaps his buttery fingers, and a long yellow parchment appears.

“Strangely smelling of apple butter!”

To whom it may concern:

Allow me to introduce myself, I am Agudo and have been blessed to be an Archmage of the Light. Yet before I digress, back to your vacation.

I am so glad you have asked this question, for as a traveler of the Realms. I have been to many a high and low places of interests. Do to my continues studies of history, for my book called humbly enough.

{History of the Realms by Agudo}

With the backing of many places of higher learning, such as CandleKeep and the Halfling League of Economics; to just name a few. I have had the opportunity to go to some very exciting places.
(Not all safe mind you! But defiantly fun and adventures.)

Lets start with the Realm Faerun and more exactly the Swords Coast…..

The city of Baldurs Gate, started by a famous pirate of the same name. Once in this somewhat civilized city, (if I stretch the truth.) You will see a city port that is doing rather well for it self.

As you enter through the east gate, you will see one of my favorite place to stay at. That being the *Elf Song Tavern & Inn.* A large and clean place, yet with plenty of intrigue and adventures taking place.
(Some say you can here the voice of a haunting female Elf singing)

For your magical shopping needs, I recommend *Sorceress Sundries* plenty of magical items for sale. Such as scrolls, rings, necklaces, staffs hats, to a verity of potions. Thier is even an upstairs multi meeting room, and laboratory for the magically incline.
(But be careful for old man Ordulinian is not too particular on whom he rents it out to)

For those who seek the rough and tumble, I recommend the *Blushing Mermaid Tavern*
Not for the faint of heart, nor the good folk of the Realms. I had the miss fortune of going in there, and naively believing the woman I met; who said she wanted to show me a good time, was a tour-guide. Well let’s just say after jumping out the second story window, with barely my virtue; and good name intact. She…well…um… put it this way, its not called the Blushing Mermaid for nothing!

If you’re a spiritually high-minded person, a trip to the northern part of the city will do you good. For the *Shrine of the Suffering* is there, many people have been blessed by giving to the needy at that humble temple.

I for one enjoy a the culture of any city, and the best place to see that in Baldurs Gate is *Hall of Wonders* Full of Gnomish inventions and other Gond like things. A lovely girl named Alora, will be happy to guide you around. She may be one of the happiest Gnomes you’ll ever meet. But keep an eye on your coin purse, she has sticky fingers.

Yet if you get the chance to go to Baldur’s Gate, please stop of at an old collogues house of mine. Ragefast is his name, and he had this infatuation with Abela, the Nymph.
I want to find out if he got my letters, recommending that he set free the poor girl.

Now for the northern land….

Normally I would recommend going to *Neverwinter* but friends of mine who have gone there as of late. Say that the city is having some type of Plague. But nothing to be concerned about. I have heard BlackStaff himself is working on it.

If you seek wield and un-tamed, then no place comes closer as *Ice Wind Dale*
Like the name sounds….. bring a heavy coat! This hostile land is famous for its forbidding tundra’s, and deadly tribes and creatures, of many different races.

But the land does have a well-known Ranger, better known as Drizzet. He is as good as a soul can get. You’ll know him by his dark Elvin features and good nature, if you ever have the pleasure of meeting him.
(Oh! And his pet cat doesn’t bite trust me.)

If you go by boat, then you may end up in one of the small ten towns that dot the seacoast. {More like villages} if you see more than a couple dozen people, then you’re having busy day.

Now sadly the ten towns is more a word then fact, do to constant struggle for survival. Many town are destroyed by tribal attacks, or lack of food, do to the heavy winters.
Yet every so often ,a new batch of brave adventures show up; to set up a colony in one of the ruined places, to start it all over again.

(Easthaven)
One such place is *Easthaven* probably one of more well known towns, do to the famous battle that took place there, awhile back. A temple of Tempus, probably the biggest structure in town, do to its hand crafted pillars and rock walls. It is often the destination of pilgrims, who seek inspiration from the heroes buried there.

The best, and only place to stay is *Snow Drift Inn* like the town a simple place but it has a warm fire to rest by. If your hungry or in need of a good drink, then the next and once again, only palace in town is *Winters Cradle Tavern*
Good local delicacies, and place to get to know the town folk.

If you need supplies then head over to *Pomab’s Emporium* The manager is rather snidely, and may I say greedy fellow, from Calmeshan. He proclaims that he is doing this town a favor for being there. But it seems to me, it’s the other way around! Never the less it the only place to get the basic necessities. That’s why its a bit pricey as well.

(Kuldoahar)
Now if you take the long land route, through the rough very tall and dangerous mountains; you’ll come upon a Druid paradise called *Kuldoahar.*
A giant and I do mean “Giant Tree” that sits in the heart, of this mountainy winter wonder land. But whats more remarkable is the tree is always bathed in spring like weather. Green grass for nearly surrounds the place, for an hour walk in any direction.

Not surprisingly, a group of Druids have set up a town at the base of the tree. Some of the more interesting places to stop at is the *Temple of Ilmater,* very serine, and one of the better places to go to for medical attention. The next place for any adventure to stop at would be *Root Cellar* good food and drink abounds there, plus all the locals stop by for gossip and friendship.

For sleep the *Evening Shade* dug into the base of the giant tree. A rather fun place to stay, for those who long to live in a tree house. The Innkeeper Aldwin, who if I may say, a rather grumpy halfing if you ever met one. The barmaid Amila, back in the Root Cellar tavern will be the first to tell you. How odd it is that Eidan the original owner of the inn, just left town and gave it that shifty Halfling.

Take the time to stop off at *Conlan’s Smithy* shop, he does a fare job on any weapons, and has been known to enchant a few; if you give him the right materials. You will also see a strange sight, sitting on one of the higher ledges of Kuldohar. A boat like contraption, made by a loveable fellow, who introduces himself as Oswald.

I let you in on a little secret, if your brave of heart, and a little crazy on top. Oswald will take you flying in that thing. That’s right! In the air! He some how uses hot air, and other materials in a large leather sack, to make it rise up.
(For me I need a couple of drinks, before I take him up on it)

(Dorns Deep)
If you fly as mentioned above, or more intelligently walk over several mountain ranges. You will with in a week or more, come upon *Dorn’s Deep* A Dwarfen city with roughly fifty thousand or so of these “tunnel loving dwarfs.” Their good traders, and they have some of the best armor, and axes this side of continent.

If they take a strong liking to you, they may take you through the deepest part of the dwarfen labyrinth. To the *Glacier Temple* of wonders. I had the privilege myself, and may I say it’s stunning! You get to see the height of dwarfen kind craftsmanship. Using ice, rock and strange magical machinery. They have what they call an aquarium, full of the most exotic see life ever seen.

(The Severed Hand)
My next recommendation for you, is about two and half days away from Dorns Deep.
An brave colony of Elves have set up a fortress, in a valley between to mountain ranges.
The leader of the fare folk, is an Archmage Elvin lord, respectively named Larrel.
These Elvis are more open minded to outsiders, than the others of their kind, in fact they encourage trade.
Do to hostile region, supplies are always in need.

When you arrive make your way up a couple of levels and shop in an authentic Elvin store. Run by *Lehland* the store named after him as well. This charming Elf, will sale you some of the more exotic merchandise around.. Don’t be shy about acquiring the hard to find Elvin clothing, and jewelry.

For a restful sleep stay at their *Hospice*, run by an Elvin mother and daughter. The young girl Seriha is always running around in there, helping her mother; and one of the sweetest children I have ever met.

Many wizards make the long trek, to study at the Elvin fortress, for it is a great honor and opportunity to learn from an Elvin Lord like Larrel.

(The only warning I want to give, is that outside the fortress, they have had lots of Goblin sighting there of late. But I am sure its nothing to worry about ,they can handle it.)

Well This is all the time I have for now, yet as soon as I am done shopping I will leave more for you choose from.

Your friend in the Light Agudo and Lady Hoot.

(Finally I beat Volo in recommending places to travel)

WizO_Trelian

First Post
Trelian scans the long list of suggestions from Agudo, and at the end walks away, murmuring, "So many places in Faerun, and no other realms suggested yet? Surely some people here are from other places, but maybe they're happy to be away. And maybe they want others to stay away, too."

B

Bhryn Astairre

Always willing to try and up her plane...

Marshall Nashira:

Whilst there has been the offer of Faerun and what it may contain to your delight, I offer up a different suggestion. I come from the plane of Celestia, the fair mount rising up through the clouds and given to the airy wonders of speculations, thought and more often than not, rest and relaxation for the soul which tires and needs to recharge.

When first looking upon my plane, many see it as a place of religious servitude, caught up in first causes and with little time for all else. However, like many things, this is a misconception. If you travel to the cities of Justice you can find large art musuems, most notably "The Llinden Hall" gallery which has collected various art from many realms over a long period of time, as mortals reckon it. Inside the city, there are forges for glassmaking and sometimes they offer the chance for the passerby to take a lesson in how to blow glass, mould clay into pottery and all for free, for my culture is ever sprinkled with the love of artistry.

Justice may engulf your days in the sounds of art being made, from painting to drawing, sculpting to glassblowing, but travelling on you may yet come to that city named Fortitude. Despite the somewhat shoddy look of the living areas (for it is recovering from a small incident in a war, my fault I must admit, for not stopping it) there inside the tall golden walls of the city, you will find the Library. It used to be called "Lunir-Taire" which means "Moonlight" or as close a translation as common, without it's inflections, allows. The Library is home to reams and reams of knowledge, gathered from the moment mankind was born, and even further before. There are works of poetry down one aisle and up the other you may perhaps find a recipe you have been searching for, for days.
In addition to an extensive library, though, not as well chronicled of mankind as the one in Panthalas (Krynn), there are wide markets held every twice weekly in the open squares, selling all manner of items and herbs, food and drink, and of course the weave of clothing specific to Celestia which resists any stain or grime slung upon it. From these fascinating silks and different smells which waft from the stalls where food bubbles merrily for the passerby, perhaps take a walk out into the country.

The surrounding landscape of parts of Mount Celestia can sometimes be rocky and sometimes be a challenge for those among who visit that feel the need to climb, and maybe even camp on those mild bluffs. A common past-time among the populace is to climb those stone outcrops and take pleasure in being a 'part' of Celestia for even those rocks sing with the sound of my plane. I do not jest, for should you take a rock and split it, you will hear the song of Divinity which has echoed for years uncounted in joy, hence the phrase "Turn a stone and you will find me, split a piece of wood, and I am there."
But in addition to those steep and sometimes challenging climbs, there are the rolling grasslands. The sun 'always shines' in Celestia during the day, or so it seems, for winter never appears to touch my plane, and if it does, then it is of the Gods' designing, and no one elses. With the plane stuck forever it appears, somewhere between spring and summer, the grass is long and deep, softer than silk and waving like a sea of green down the endless meadows. The sky is blue and the air is warm, an ideal place to relax, perhaps try to catch a 'sun-tan' or even take a picnic out of doors. When night comes and you stand out of the cities, deep in the grass of the meadows, the whole sky looks like a sheet of rich black velvet, no bleeding of the oily torches rising up to contaminate the skyline. There in the velvet, stars hang pensive in constellations that may very well look completely different to any you know. In the cool of that twilight, before their parents can shuffle them off to bed, children come to play in the meadows. It is peaceful.

There is, from the small town of Charity where the infamous 'MageBreaker' clan live, a talented group of mages who unlock as well as inflict terrible curses on those who would seek to destroy the peace we live in, regular guided tours to the ruins of Temperance. There still remain in Temperance, those wells and beautiful fountains that used to sing. Coins are still tossed into the fountain for luck, and quite often a traveller has been surprised by their wish coming true after throwing in a coin. The tour takes a day to complete, with a break for lunch by the sides of "Well Being" baths which still stand, giving those who come the chance to bathe in the waters of restoration, sealing up any wounds they may have. Temperance was once famed for the coveted "Water of Life" which granted immortality to whomever drank it, a closely guarded commodity. Now however, the well is broken beyond repair, and that chance for immortality lost to mankind.

If the travelling personage is interested in Magic, then a trip to the " Arcanus Academia" is definitely in store. The huge castle like academy is the centre of magical learning for the plane, clerics, mages and magebreakers all come to learn here, even the secluded sect of swordrunics must come and learn their trade from the aged teachers of magic and manipulation of forces felt but not seen. I myself spent time learning here. The current head, Mikhel Van'Aetha (something: I forget, they have so many!) is a master of several schools of magic and has lived longer than anyone dare remind him, yet he looked no older than his middle years and probably never will advance beyond that. Here you can see students practise alchemy, magic and sometimes even techniques of the mind.

There is one last convenient city which seems to have grown over the ages from a small settlement and owns the rather uncreative name of "Celestia Proper" and this is a town which was built up around the two main centres of power in Celestia, "The Temple of All" and "The Council Chambers". The Temple is a beautiful, breathtaking place, built of many, many alcoves to scores of Deities and always it rings with the sound of people praying to the skies, to their Lords. There is no animosity in the temple, no god -is- better than the other and the sense of complete harmony is encompassing, allowing all hymns sung to meld seamlessly together surprisingly. There are regular masses, walks in the open Clerical grounds and even the chance to see clerics at work.
The Council Chambers lower buildings are open for the public, people may come in and speak with those members of the council who are not currently occupied, usually the lower echelons, and there is a musuem dedicated to the varied projects, works and often wars which Celestia has endured. However, the high rising spires which vanish seemingly into the skies, are a breathtaking marble white, and few people are ever invited to see the luxurious interior of those who essentially help run Celestia.

Also within Proper, lies the Bastion, which is a huge domed museum. At first look it does appear to be some kind of barracks, but on closer inspection after entering, it is easy to see that it is a huge storehouse for the many kinds of armour and weapons which mankind has passed through. There are displays, and even tea-rooms towards the back, where it then opens onto the training yards for the new guards. People are invited to 'give it a go' if they want, and those who train offer advice to those who watch.

You may perhaps feel the need to visit the seven ringed fountain in the plaza, or perhaps check and see which day celebrates what, for there is rarely a week which passes without celebration of either a special holiday for Celestia, or a sake-day for the Gods. Celebrations are loud, noisy and often involve drunken-ess, parades, festival foods and a lot of good cheer. It is, after all, what you make of it.

Places to stay are frequent, for Celestia has a lot of pilgrims come round, and come cheap too despite what you may believe. For a couple of coppers a night, you can have a well equipped room with a soft three-qtr bed, a bedstand, a basin and mirror, window, rug on the floor and sometimes, if the Inn owner is feeling upto getting up early (and they invariably do) breakfast served in bed so you have a good start for the day.

I'd recommend my plane, if you're looking for culture and relaxation above anything else.

~Bhryn'o'vyl Astairre~
~Paragon of Celestia~

A

Agudo Archmage

portlongagudo.gif

Artwork copyright © 2003, Gordon R. Quigley

Lady Hoot and Agudo came back to see if any one had read his posting.
“Well, well! It looks like, not only do I have too much time on my hands to write, about places I’ve been. But the angels themselves, seem to like leaving long parchments as well.”

He takes a closer look and sees what has been left.

“I say Hoot, its been awhile since we been to Celestia and from the sound of it Bhryn has taken up travel agent of the place. Lunir-Taire is the place to stop at, for the wise and knowledgeable.”

The Archmage of Light leaves note.

To Whom It May Concern:
Does anyone know if the war in Celestial area is over? I for one would enjoy a trip there. But would rather skip constant battle noise?

From a fellow traveler
Agudo and Lady Hoot

B

Bhryn Astairre

Dearest Agudo and Lady Hoot:

Indeed, the war has finished, and has been finished for some time. The worst hit place was Fortitude but the time we spend there, different to some time flow here, has given us the leisure to rebuild those broken parts of the golden walls and repair the minimal damages, and now, spurred on by some errant thought, Kirion seeks to try and rebuild Temperance after all this time.

We would be more than happy to see someone as knowledgable as you wandering back around Celestia, and as I recall, there is a small cafe which still groans remembering your fondness for their apple pies. Please do stop by at any time.

Sincerely,

~Bhryn'o'vyl Astairre~
~Paragon of Celestia~

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases