• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holmes vs Moldvay vs Mentzer

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Gentlegamer said:
Of course, the part about playing anything you want in OD&D and Holmes Basic that 3e players may not like is that DM approval is required . . .

Actually, that's Step 0 of creating a character for 3e. "Check with your DM". :)

Cheers!

Gentlegamer said:
I think Gary has always said what you do in your game is your own business (his campaign wasn't by-the-book AD&D, either).

I cottoned on to that, when reading "Saga of Old City," and he was listing out the coinage system, and I thought "That's not in the PHB."

RFisher

Explorer
T. Foster said:
Nah, I just let brevty get in the way of clarity. What I meant was: "What had been a single rulebook in the Moldvay set is in the Mentzer set divided into two books..." :eek:

Doh! I missed the "single" in that sentence even when quoting it. (u_u)

RFisher

Explorer
Prince of Happiness said:
I cottoned on to that, when reading "Saga of Old City," and he was listing out the coinage system, and I thought "That's not in the PHB."

With both oD&D & oAD&D, I think Gygax sometimes went too far in listening to other people. It's good to vet your ideas through your peers & to playtest the game. But including anything about using Chainmail as the combat system or armor v. weapon adjustments (to pick just one example from each game) was (IMHO) a bad idea. It just increased the confusion & incoherence those groups trying to learn the game from the text had to deal with. Just tell us how you play it & leave the variations to supplements, magazine articles, & house rules.

RFisher

Explorer
Prince of Happiness said:
I was flipping through the Holmes book, and found that the monster listing also has monsters that STRONGLY outclass 1st-3rd level characters. Funny that!

Yeah. Although I know a guy who for a long time had nothing but the Holmes set, so he & his friends just extrapolated from the numbers there for levels past 3rd.

(Sometimes I wonder if it would've been better for us all to have to have done that.)

The Moldvay book has dragons because they felt an introduction to D&D should include dragons, but it did explicitly say this & note that the DM should be careful throwing dragons at Basic level PCs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads