• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy Avenger and SR radius

Marauder

First Post
Hi all,

I have a paladin in my group who will be questing for a Holy Avenger blade in a few levels time (he is 12th and I plan to make the possibility available at around 15th-16th level).

At any rate, I was having a look at the weapon's description, and it mentions that the sword creates a spell resistance field in a 5- foot radius.

Now, we use a battlemap for most combats and this is where I have a problem. A PC fills one square, and a 5-foor radius implies that this effect extends into the other 8 squares around him. However, this is then a 15-foot diameter, not the 10-foot diameter that the sword creates (from the 5-foot radius).

How should I let this effect work? Should the PC pick one of the four 'intersecting' points every round that the effect emanates from (thereby including the square he occupies in addition to the other three) or is there a better solution? I understand that this will not be a problem unless there is one or more adjacent allied PC's, but I was wondering if there was another way.

(This is almost as annoying as the diagram for the Burning Hands spell, where they have the caster standing on the line that separates two squares, not actually occupying a square *sigh*)

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Crothian

First Post
Here's how I'd do it. Is he right handed or left? That determines which squares it protects. So if he's right handed it protects his square, one square in front, one square in back, and each of the three squares to the right. Now, this does interfere with the no facing rules d20 has.

Chris Nagle

First Post
My thoughts are to give it the 5' Radius IE 15 Diameter but only usable by characters & monster of LG alignment.

As it only works in the hands of a Paladin the SR should only work with LG characters etc.

my 2 cents worth.

dcollins

Explorer
Good question. I'd recommend the pick-an-intersecting point and affect 4 areas for the following reasons:
(a) it most closely follows the DMG guidelines for area-effect spells, and
(b) it creates the closest ground surface area to an actual 5-ft. radius circle.

Another alternative would be to have the effect spread into the linear adjacent spaces, but not the diagonal ones (for a total of 5 affected spaces).

You may be interested in the following web page which expands on many of these issues, here: www.superdan.net/spellar/spellar1.html

(Note: The burning hands diagram doesn't imply that the caster is between spaces. The diagram is communicating that the caster can be in either of those spaces, pick the appropriate intersection point, and have the same illustrated area-of-effect.)

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Well, I'd just use the 8 squares adjacent to the wielder.

If you really want to do it correct, you can make yourself a circular template with a radius of one of your battlemat's square's width. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Artoomis

First Post
This is an artificial problem created by the grid (or hex) system. It seems to me the intent is that it protects 5-feet around the paladin - give him all the squares around him.

I's mentally re-phrase the 5' radius to "5' radius around the paladin." Problem solved.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I agree with Artoomis on this one. Since using the grid often has these difficulties, you have to be clear. I ran into a similar problem when designing a spell that would hit everything within a radius of the caster, by the rules you are supposed to pick an intersection, but that throws the whole thing off, right?

All squares within a 5-foot reach of the paladin, should work just fine.

Later!

Artoomis

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
A 5' radius on a grid looks like this:

0X0
XXX
0X0

Ah, but on a hex it would be all the hexes around the paladin.

The diagionals are a problem. Since you are allowed to take a 5-foot step on a diagonal, the 5-foot radius should include that square as well. Besides, it's easier that way, and easier is always a good thing.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Artoomis said:
Ah, but on a hex it would be all the hexes around the paladin.

The diagionals are a problem. Since you are allowed to take a 5-foot step on a diagonal, the 5-foot radius should include that square as well. Besides, it's easier that way, and easier is always a good thing.

No, on a hex it would also be half the adjacent hexes. (EDIT: very illogical, I know, but that just shows why I play with squares and not hexes.)

Besides there is precedent for this assumption, a person wielding a spiked chain threatens this area:

0XXX0
XXXXX
XXPXX
XXXXX
0XXX0

However if you move diagonally through this area, you still provoke an AoO from leaving the corners, although these corners themselves are not considered threatened.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads