D&D 5E Holy crap, that's cool

Hussar

Legend
On the note of cool stuff in the MM, how about the ghost's Horrifying Visage ability? It can permanently age you by 10 to 40 years.

I don't have the MM yet, so, how do they deal with ageing? it was such a PITA in 1e, that it meant that I never used Ghosts. One failed save (actually, IIRC, in AD&D you didn't even get a save) and you just lost your character with pretty much no way of getting it back.

I don't have the MM yet, so, how do they deal with ageing? it was such a PITA in 1e, that it meant that I never used Ghosts. One failed save (actually, IIRC, in AD&D you didn't even get a save) and you just lost your character with pretty much no way of getting it back.

Could be worse - there's a canonical character in Ravenloft (2e) that, as a fledgling vampire, tricked her boyfriend's ghost into attacking her and aging her a few centuries so she could have elder vampire powers. *cough* *cough* bull**** *cough*

MortalPlague

Adventurer

The ageing only happens if you fail the roll by 5 or more, and it can be reversed by a greater restoration spell cast within 24 hours. So there are ways to avoid it sticking.

erf_beto

First Post
If you know you'll be facing ghosts soon, just find a friendly Avon Lady and purchase a couple of anti-aging balms that grant advantage on your saving throw. :p

Riley37

First Post
So this means that there are likely many petrified basilisks in and around basilisk breeding grounds.

Yes. A basilisk sees a potential mate, and all too often, it ends up getting hard.

However, monsters that turn people to stone, being turned to stone themselves by their reflection, goes back to Perseus and Medusa; it's not original to 5E. In the classic game "Nethack", a "polished silver shield" is a lucky find.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

Depends on how bad you fail the roll and how bad the age dice punish you. If you age 10-20 years you are probably OK. 30-40 and you are the latest retired tomb raider to go into the bar business.

"Gimme a drink over here Granddad!"
"Shut your mouth I'm only 26!"

Reynard

Legend
So this means that there are likely many petrified basilisks in and around basilisk breeding grounds.

This is thinking like a great DM!

People often complain about "save or die/suck" monsters because they can be deadly very quickly, not giving the PCs a "sporting chance" but that chance comes from the party finding a basilisk "statue" and correctly figuring out what it means. in 5E terms, i would probably give even a surprised character Advantage on a save versus the first gaze attack by the Basilisk if the party knew there were some in the area.

Hussar

Legend
This is thinking like a great DM!

People often complain about "save or die/suck" monsters because they can be deadly very quickly, not giving the PCs a "sporting chance" but that chance comes from the party finding a basilisk "statue" and correctly figuring out what it means. in 5E terms, i would probably give even a surprised character Advantage on a save versus the first gaze attack by the Basilisk if the party knew there were some in the area.

Actually, that's not quite my complaint. My complaint is that I have to signpost these kinds of monsters in a way that I don't have to for standard monsters. If I want to use a basilisk, then I have to scatter statuary around the place, just to warn the players that a basilisk is in the area. Fine for a basilisk, but what about a pylrolisk? It's not like they leave anything to find. Why is every medusa stupid enough to leave signs of her presence everywhere? Medusa's are as smart as humans.

It's annoying because it means that every encounter with these monsters is too similar for my tastes.

Remove ads