Holy Symbol as Mage Implement?

For story reasons related to my character, who is a mage, I'd like to use a holy symbol for an implement. Can I still get the same proficiency bonus (+?) I would for using a wand, staff, or orb? I'd try to equip and see in character builder, but my DDI ran out. Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to not have to take a feat to pull it off.

Drakhar

First Post
There is a holy symbol that can be used as a mage implement, I believe it's Ioun's though I may be mistaken on that.

Edit: Nope it's Corellon.

Last edited:

Nullzone

Explorer
CB won't consider it valid. If it's just for story I would just equip a standard implement and mentally/narratively reflavor it as a holy symbol.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
You need a feat; probably multiclassing as a Divine class that gets access to Holy Symbols as an implement.

If your DM allows, you can just houserule it so that it works.

Alternately, you can just say that your Wand, Staff or Orb looks like the symbol of your god (unless it was a specific enchantment for holy symbols you were after).

D'oh! Ninja'd ;)

Mapache

Explorer
There is a holy symbol that can be used as a mage implement, I believe it's Ioun's though I may be mistaken on that.

Edit: Nope it's Corellon.

Star of Corellon, Convert's Symbol, or Ioun-Blessed Symbol will work. Or you can multiclass into a divine class, probably Cleric for the daily heal.

thanks for the suggestions - I think I like the idea of reflavoring, so I think I'll picture an orb as being small enough to weave into a bracelet which has lots of smaller beads to look like a symbol of Sehanine.

DracoSuave

First Post
Reflavoring is fine, but a holy symbol has an actual game mechanic advantage in that you can have a special slot for it that leaves your hands free.

The easiest way to get access to a holy symbol is simply to take a feat that gives you access to that class.

This might be a bit of a darkhorse, but I'd actually consider Soldier of Virtue. It gives you access to paladin implements, and allows you to remove certain conditions once per day. This allows you to foul up certain monster's game plans (which is your job, after all), and you get access to those tasty holy symbols you like.

Nullzone

Explorer
I don't think you can use a holy symbol as an arcane implement even if you MC (barring the specific examples from above); if your arcane class can't use a holy symbol, you can't channel an arcane power through it. From the implement rules:

The implement keyword identifies a power that can be used through an implement, and the implement must be a type wielded by the power’s class.
Explains why the ones like the Star of Correllon specifically state they can be used as implements for arcane powers, otherwise they'd just tell people to MC divine classes.

Last edited:

MrBeens

First Post
I don't think you can use a holy symbol as an arcane implement even if you MC (barring the specific examples from above); if your arcane class can't use a holy symbol, you can't channel an arcane power through it. From the implement rules:

Explains why the ones like the Star of Correllon specifically state they can be used as implements for arcane powers, otherwise they'd just tell people to MC divine classes.

This was changed with the rules compendium. They simplified implements so that you can use any implement your class(es) let you use for any implement power.

Things like the Star of Correlion are so that you don't HAVE to multiclass into divine.

Klaus

First Post
Yeah, the current rule for implements means that as long as you are proficient in it, you can use it for any of your classes. So any Multiclass feat that says "and you can use X implements" makes you good to go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases