Level Up (A5E) Holywood Heroics: substituting for Dex

Stalker0

Legend
One thing we are discussing is using other ability scores for initiative based on the situation. Initiative isn't as powerful as it seems, though; once you've had your first go, it's just a cycle.

I think for casters by mid level you could argue it’s the strongest stat their is. Laying down your controls before the enemy does can change fights.

ive Always wanted to see an in-depth look at what initiative really means

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think for casters by mid level you could argue it’s the strongest stat their is. Laying down your controls before the enemy does can change fights.

ive Always wanted to see an in-depth look at what initiative really means
You'd think that, but 5e really discourages and hamstrings thst kinda caster with nerfed debuffs/but control spells & massive overuse of concentration before you get into all the incentive it stacks on for casters to be a blaster. In part editions it might have been significant, but rolling low on a d20 plays a bigger role. It might help wizards specifically go sooner, but it winds up being more trouble because the baddies are likely all over and they don't have any meaningful tools to do anything regardless of if the bsf rogue & ranger goes first or not. A5 might give the tools back... but with precision pinpoint yargetingit probably only matters of your casting chain lightning & laying in bed arb I'd not be surprised if that included words like "of your choice" or similar

Stalker0

Legend
You'd think that, but 5e really discourages and hamstrings thst kinda caster with nerfed debuffs/but control spells & massive overuse of concentration before you get into all the incentive it stacks on for casters to be a blaster.

I mean, yes casters aren't what they used to but make no mistake, the control caster is still very much alive. The right wall of force, hypnotic pattern, banishment, resilent sphere....they can all end fights before they even begin.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I mean, yes casters aren't what they used to but make no mistake, the control caster is still very much alive. The right wall of force, hypnotic pattern, banishment, resilent sphere....they can all end fights before they even begin.

Yeah but casters don't usually have nearly a high enough Dex in most cases to matter much on Inititive. It's Dex based classes that really benefit from the Dex bonus to Init.

Quartz

Hero
I don't really want the system to steer players toward having a single useful ability scores and the others be dump stats.

I think you're extrapolating a little too far. I am in no wise suggesting that. The substitution is very limited: for instance all three classes still need Str and Con, and Dex when using finesse weapons.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
One thing we are discussing is using other ability scores for initiative based on the situation. Initiative isn't as powerful as it seems, though; once you've had your first go, it's just a cycle.
It doesn't make a huge difference to the player's, but the ascendancy of DeX does mean that the players most often take their turns before the monsters, which means the DM gets less opportunity to show them off, which leads to shorter but less interesting combats.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yeah but casters don't usually have nearly a high enough Dex in most cases to matter much on Inititive. It's Dex based classes that really benefit from the Dex bonus to Init.
I don't know. DeX directly affects AC, especially for a character with no armor. Combined with initiative and useful DeX-based skills (like Stealth) and I want my Dex to be decent if not good.

Quartz

Hero
I think as written the abilities are open to abuse by multiclassers, particularly Monks and Barbarians. It should not work with any sort of Unarmoured Defence. How would you phrase that?

Remove ads