Homebrew Cantrip: Scrimshaw (a shillelagh variant)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I came up with this variation on the Shillelagh cantrip for a Triton player character in my home game - he uses a Trident with the business end crafted from coral. It's mainly a bit of fluff, but I thought someone might find it interesting. (I specify coral or seashell for the weapon because they are basically external skeletons made from calcium carbonate, and its a hard natural material found underwater.) Scrimshaw is a term for carving bones. I couldn't come up with a better name.

Scrimshaw

Transmutation cantrip

Casting Time: 1 bonus action

Range: Touch

Components: V, S, M (a piece of seaweed, a piece of coral, and a trident or spear made from bone, coral, or seashell)

Duration: 1 minute

A trident or spear crafted from bone, coral, or seashells that you are holding is imbued with nature’s power. Intricate designs appear on the bone portion of the weapon for duration, and may become permanently etched into it after multiple castings of this cantrip.

For the duration, you can use your spellcasting ability instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of melee attacks using that weapon, and the weapon's damage die becomes a D8. The weapon also becomes magical, if it isn’t already. The spell ends if you cast it again or if you let go of the weapon.

Last edited:

Remove ads