• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew Doctor Who (d20 Modern/Future)

Narsil

First Post
Just a homebrew campaign I was thinking of making, for a laugh. Starting with stats for the Gallifreyans/Time Lords:

Time Lords (Gallifreyans)

Stats:
Strength (+2), Constitution (+2), Intelligence (+4); Time Lords are stronger, healthier and much more intelligent than humans.
Medium Sized
Base Speed: 30'
+2 Racial bonus to Computer Use checks
Regeneration (Su): see below
Level Adjustment: (uncertain as of yet)

Regeneration (Su): Time Lords can regenerate their body within 1d4-1 hours upon death (with a result of 'zero' meaning that the Time Lord regenerates instantly), this leads to an instantaneous reroll of all stats, save for Intelligence. Upon regeneration, a Time Lord must make a fortitude save of 15 (+1 for every time previously regenerated) or be subject to 3d10 hours of constant fatigue, and the gaining of a negative level which can be fixed through 1d10+4 hours of rest.

This can only be done thirteen times before the Time Lord dies fully, a state which not even a True Resurrection spell can reverse. A Wish spell can be used to extend the amount of Regenerations that a Time Lord is allotted.

EDIT: added the Fortitude save figure

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
I've actually started a stripped-down D20 System homebrew Doctor Who game, so it's good to see I'm not alone. I decided to go stripped-down instead of built-up because I want the game to be fast-paced and fluid. I'd be happy to compare & post with you so that we can both gain the benefit of each other's design work (if that's cool with you, of course)!

One thing I do suggest, right off the bat, is to change Regeneration into an (Ex) ability. In Doctor Who, the supernatural is just science we don't understand. I would also consider how to use the ectoplasmic form of the Master in the FOX/BBC Doctor Who television movie. The Time Lords and the Master in The Five Doctors indicated that a new cycle of regenerations was possible, and the Master demonstrated that there were ways to survive even after the 13th incarnation. Finally, a Time Lord can always trigger a final, lethal regeneration after his cycle is used up (see The Twin Dilemna). A Time Lord can also release artron energy to aid another Time Lord's regeneration, as in Planet of Spiders.

I would suggest, perhaps, a number of feats or a talent tree that allows specific regerative effects if you want to go with a built-up D20 Doctor Who game.

Final note: Way back when I did my d30 Doctor Who game, I decided that Time Lords should be "round robin" characters. What this meant was that you didn't "own" your TL character...just that incarnation of him. The TL was owned by the group, and if he "died" the regenerated form would be passed on to another player. I did this to give the player of the TL a reason to avoid "death", to make the game more fair for those initially playing companions, and to mimic the "changing lead actors" aspect of the show.

RC

Narsil

First Post
The Master's ectoplasmic form can probably be explained via a template of some kind...

And I might not give Time Lords a Level Adjustment, but rather make them the Unique Character like you said. Now here's a bit of a redone version of the stats, and I'll make a sample 'Doctor' in a couple of days.

Gallifreyans:
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +4 Intelligence. Time Lords are strong, intelligent and resilient.
Medium Sized
+2 Racial bonus to Computer Use checks
Always considered trained in any intelligence-based skill.
+6 Racial bonus to Will Saves against any mind-affecting power
Regeneration (Ex): Time Lords gain the ability to 'regenerate' upon death.

Regeneration: Time Lords can regenerate their body within 10d6 rounds upon death, this leads to an instantaneous reroll of all stats, save for Intelligence. Upon regeneration, a Time Lord must make a fortitude save of 15 (+1 for every time previously regenerated) or be subject to 3d10 hours of constant fatigue, and the gaining of a negative level which both can be fixed through 1d10+4 hours of rest.

If the Time Lord is under the effects of anaesthetic of any kind, then the Time Lord must make a fortitude save of DC 10 or die outright. Even if the fortitude save is made, the Time Lord suffers from a temporary bout of amnesia.

This can only be done thirteen times before the Time Lord dies fully, a state which not even a True Resurrection spell can reverse. A Wish spell can be used to extend the amount of Regenerations that a Time Lord is allotted. If the Time Lord council deems it prudent, they will occasionally allow a single Gallifreyan to recieve a new set of regenerations.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Quick note (that may be contentious):

Not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords. Time Lords are the oligarchic rulers of the planet Gallifrey (The Sun Makers). There are apparently qualifications to being a Time Lord, and not everyone who tries passes these qualifications.

Remember Invasion of Time: "There are men, women -- even Time Lords dying out there!"

Narsil

First Post
I was thinking of adding a Time Lord prestige class which adds all the other stuff (apart from Regeneration) that Time Lords can do (slow down time, and the like) along with greater control of a TARDIS, for that matter.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Everytime I see this thread I think it is just titled "Homebrew Doctor" and I think of a guy that comes over in a white jacket and a stethescope to help DMs with their home setting. :)

Anyway, sorry for the hijack :D

Bagpuss

Legend
Raven Crowking said:
Final note: Way back when I did my d30 Doctor Who game, I decided that Time Lords should be "round robin" characters. What this meant was that you didn't "own" your TL character...just that incarnation of him. The TL was owned by the group, and if he "died" the regenerated form would be passed on to another player. I did this to give the player of the TL a reason to avoid "death", to make the game more fair for those initially playing companions, and to mimic the "changing lead actors" aspect of the show.

RC

Absolute genius.

A real case of the mechanics reflecting the setting.

Narsil

First Post
Quartz said:
Time Lords have considerable charm - they can even talk to Daleks - so a Cha mod of +4 seems quite reasonable.

There'll be no level adjustment as Time Lords are immensely fast learners. :p

Gallifreyans:
+4 Strength, +4 Constitution, +4 Dexterity, +6 Wisdom, +6 Intelligence, +4 Charisma. Time Lords are essentially godlike, like most Doctor Who races, get used to it.
Medium Sized
+6 Racial bonus to Computer Use checks (Computer Use is used for TARDIS operation)
+6 Racial bonus to Repair checks
Always considered trained in any intelligence or wisdom-based skill.
+6 Racial bonus to Will Saves against any mind-affecting power
Regeneration (Ex): Time Lords gain the ability to 'regenerate' upon death.

Regeneration: Time Lords can regenerate their body within 10d6 rounds upon death, this leads to an instantaneous reroll of all stats, save for Intelligence. Upon regeneration, a Time Lord must make a fortitude save of 15 (+1 for every time previously regenerated) or be subject to 3d10 hours of constant fatigue, and the gaining of a negative level which both can be fixed through 1d10+4 hours of rest.

If the Time Lord is under the effects of anaesthetic of any kind, then the Time Lord must make a fortitude save of DC 10 or die outright. Even if the fortitude save is made, the Time Lord suffers from a temporary bout of amnesia.

This can only be done thirteen times before the Time Lord dies fully, a state which not even a True Resurrection spell can reverse. A Wish spell can be used to extend the amount of Regenerations that a Time Lord is allotted. If the Time Lord council deems it prudent, they will occasionally allow a single Gallifreyan to recieve a new set of regenerations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads