• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Homebrew Improvement to the Path of Berserker Archetype

vander79

First Post
After some complaints about the Path of the Berserker archetype for the Barbarian, I thought I would share some changes I considered to make regarding the archetype. The changes are in Red

Frenzy: Starting at 3rd level after you select this path, when you rage you can choose to go into a frenzy. If you do so, for the duration of your rage you can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action. When your rage ends, you can’t move or take actions until after your next turn, as a wave of lethargy sweeps over you.

Reasons for change: Stacking exhaustion felt like a needlessly punishing trade off for a single weapon attack as a bonus action. However, keeping with the same flavor of tiring you out after use, I took a page out of the haste spell effect. The new version still tires you out from using frenzy and punishes you for dropping rage, but in such a way that is limited to the combat encounter.

Mindless Rage: This remains unchanged

Intimidating Presence: Beginning at 10th level, you can use your action to frighten someone with your menacing presence. When you do so, choose one creature that you can see within 30 feet of you. If the creature can see you, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier) or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn. On subsequent turns, you can use your action to extend the duration of this effect on the frightened

Reasons for change: Makes the ability more potent by tying it to your primary stat. Also, you are using your presence to intimidate. To me this means your physical stature. I removed the necessity to hear you, since you won't be using charisma instead relying on your physical strength, a blind person wouldn't be frightened, but a deaf person would.

I don't consider these changes earth shattering, but thought I'd put it here to see what type of feedback it gets if any.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Reasons for change: Makes the ability more potent by tying it to your primary stat. Also, you are using your presence to intimidate. To me this means your physical stature. .

Not necessarily. For example, a DEX based barbarian can do some flourish with their weapon to intimidate just as well. And a lot of intimidation is from confidence, not just size. Royce Gracie is smaller of stature, but you can bet his stare intimidates just about everyone.

vander79

First Post
Not necessarily. For example, a DEX based barbarian can do some flourish with their weapon to intimidate just as well. And a lot of intimidation is from confidence, not just size. Royce Gracie is smaller of stature, but you can bet his stare intimidates just about everyone.

I considered this, but decided to stick with Strength. Rage is tied to strength, Reckless attack is tied to strength. Even if you roll a DEX based barbarian, the class itself still considers strength an important stat to derive the success of its abilities on. My main problem with this ability is the use of Charisma, likely a dump stat that makes an otherwise cool ability lacking in effectiveness

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads