D&D 5E Homebrew Marshal Class (+Thread)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I dont know, with the cantrips auto-scaling damage, at mid-high level the warlord would be better granting an attack to spellcaster instead of other martials who only receive a single attack. Feels a little off to me, but that's just my preference.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
So call it a single cantrip cast at less than level five. Keep in mind the single attack is subject to GWM, PAM, XBM, SS and whatever other stacked feat tree nonsense might be going on, so it's maybe not as far off as you might think. A longsword at +8 dmg does an average of 12.5 per hit, and a 2d10 firebolt does an average of 9. Even a 3d10 firebolt only does 13.5 on average. Once you toss in GWM or SS it's not even really that close.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I dont know, with the cantrips auto-scaling damage, at mid-high level the warlord would be better granting an attack to spellcaster instead of other martials who only receive a single attack. Feels a little off to me, but that's just my preference.
The equivalent of granting a single attack when granting a cantrip would be to grant a cantrip at 1st-level scaling - that is, a single die.

So, if you wanted the warlord granting the equivalent of a single attack - so effectively, a non-scaling attack - he could grant:

A single weapon attack.
No more than 1d of sneak attack can be applied to that attack.
A single attack out of an Eldritch Blast.
A cantrip doing only it's base 1d of damage.

If you want him to grant a scaled attack, so that the ability remains roughly comparable at all levels, like Action Surge, instead of rapidly dropping off in usefulness like Second Wind, it'd be simpler for him to grant an action, that must be used only for an Attack Action or Cast a Spell (cantrip only) action.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Man I hate that I’m working so much while all these great ideas are being thrown around.

So, base class is going to grant attacks as an attack, 1 ki cost, including cantrips.

Did anyone have thoughts on whether it should be a thing where the Marshal makes an attack that deals Gambit Die damage, and then spends 1 ki to grant an attack?

feels more active, and more like the Marshal is creating an opening. Combined with +GD damage as a bonus action, is it pretty balanced as what you do with your whole turn?

Remove ads