D&D 5E Homebrew Marshal Class (+Thread)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
if I’m giving up an attack and spending 1 mettle, I’d rather give movement now that is actually extra movement, and benefits everyone. There are some good basic ideas here, but as written these don’t work with how the class is currently built.
Well, you could give the bonus actions as a reaction from the allies rather than a bonus action on their turn? But I fear that in the end, the Marshal will put to much of a strain on its own and its allies Reactions. So I though that you could maybe spread the different buffs on different actions.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, you could give the bonus actions as a reaction from the allies rather than a bonus action on their turn? But I fear that in the end, the Marshal will put to much of a strain on its own and its allies Reactions. So I though that you could maybe spread the different buffs on different actions.
Letting allies move doesn’t need to cost their reaction, it can just happen.

Tales and Chronicles

Letting allies move doesn’t need to cost their reaction, it can just happen.
Sure, I guess it could. But looking a the BM's maneuvering attack and the glam-bard's mantle of inspiration, both require the use of the ally's reaction to move. In those case though, the movement doest not provoke AoO. So maybe if the movement still provoked AoO allies could move for free?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Nevermind, I thought the OA from PAM used a reaction but it doesn't. As you were. The ability is still superduper with PAM, but the cost of a reaction or not won't change that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nevermind, I thought the OA from PAM used a reaction but it doesn't. As you were. The ability is still superduper with PAM, but the cost of a reaction or not won't change that.
Sure, but that isn’t abuse, it’s just synergy. I’m not sure granting some movement is going to make PAM significantly more powerful.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If it gets an extra OA or two every encounter that's a pretty big deal, and that sounds like a reasonable thing to expect in the situation. I'm not suggesting we don't have a movement ability though, nor am I against synergy. PAM was just the best synergy I could think of and that's normally what I'll look for to get a quick barometer reading on balance.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The reaction economy of 5e may not be tight, but it's not exactly rich or vibrant, either. Even just PH1 some classes, builds, or/and party compositions can run you out of Bonus Actions or Reactions, making some things lock echother out even though they don't seem innately incompatible in concept.

That's a plus for the idea of leaving the granted action to the ally's next turn.

Tales and Chronicles

While on the subject of the limitation of Reactions, I think that the capstone of tactical/lazy marshal could that allies within presence gain a number of bonus reaction per round.

Remove ads