D&D 5E Homebrew Marshal Class (+Thread)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Can I suggest stuff for late features?
I'd give the Marshal a feature called Tower of Will at level 10, give them advantage against fear and charm and enemies have disadvantage on insight and mind cannot be read.

And as capstone I'd give them Legends Live On : gain a fourth death saving throw before death and any death saving throw by an ally with Presence gain the usual benefit of a roll of 20 on a roll of 15+.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'd give the Marshal a feature called Tower of Will at level 10, give them advantage against fear and charm and enemies have disadvantage on insight and mind cannot be read.

And as capstone I'd give them Legends Live On : gain a fourth death saving throw before death and any death saving throw by an ally with Presence gain the usual benefit of a roll of 20 on a roll of 15+.
1579746987746.png

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

That’s a great couple ideas. I really like the basic idea of both of those.
Oh yeah, I like this.
That’s a good one, for sure. Maybe not word for word, but it’s a start. I’ll probably try to synthesize that and vince’s idea into something 5e and congruent with the marhsal’s basic mechanics later, unless someone else does so first.

doctorbadwolf

Working on a proposal for the thread for a rework of levels 1-3, to square up the action economy, give something for the tactician to be better at right away than other marshals, and set the stage better for the rest of the level progression going forward.
Probably post it tomorrow’s

Meanwhile, what do we think of these two ideas:

1, at level 7, your presence grants a +1 or +2 bonus to AC to yourself and allies. The class needs passive abilities, and some kind of defense buff, and this seems pretty close to Evasion, to me.

2, the hook for a magic subclass could be that it can cast touch and self spells through willing allies within its presence. Eg, cast compelled duel, but cast it as if the barbarian has cast it.

Tales and Chronicles

Working on a proposal for the thread for a rework of levels 1-3, to square up the action economy, give something for the tactician to be better at right away than other marshals, and set the stage better for the rest of the level progression going forward.
Probably post it tomorrow’s

Meanwhile, what do we think of these two ideas:

1, at level 7, your presence grants a +1 or +2 bonus to AC to yourself and allies. The class needs passive abilities, and some kind of defense buff, and this seems pretty close to Evasion, to me.

2, the hook for a magic subclass could be that it can cast touch and self spells through willing allies within its presence. Eg, cast compelled duel, but cast it as if the barbarian has cast it.

1) I'd go with something like Still your Hearts. As an Action, remove Charm and Frightened on ally within Presence.

2) Circle mage: 1/3 caster, cast though an ally within presence, bonus to ritual, bonus to concentration within presence, steal the new ''magical inspiration'' from the variant bard and add +X to damage or healing from spells, Y/day.

Tales and Chronicles

Oh, and another thing: I'd vote to remove extra attack at 5 (I know, I know), to add +1d8 damage at 8 and 14 to your attacks and granted attacks through gambits. Hammer and Anvil?

Tales and Chronicles

Some other ideas:

My take on Gambits:

Vipers Strike: When you take the Attack action, you can replace one attack and spend 1 mettle to signal your allies to brace for an assault. Until the end of your next turn, up to 4 creatures within your Presence can take the dodge action as a bonus action. If an enemy miss an ally while they are dodging, you can spend 1 mettle as a reaction to allow the ally to make a single attack. (Merge Hold the line and Brace while allowing to play with the action economy + classic name)

Wolf-pack Tactic: When you take the Attack action, you can replace one attack and spend 1 mettle to signal your allies to move quickly in position. Until the end of your next turn, up to 4 creatures within your Presence can take the dash or disengage actions as a bonus action.

Create Opportunity: (instead of Extra attack) At 5th level, when you would make an attack of opportunity against an enemy, you can instead use your reaction to allow an ally within your Presence to make an attack against the enemy.

doctorbadwolf

Oh, and another thing: I'd vote to remove extra attack at 5 (I know, I know), to add +1d8 damage at 8 and 14 to your attacks and granted attacks through gambits. Hammer and Anvil?
Nope. That would break the entire action economy of the class, and force us to redesign from the ground
Some other ideas:

My take on Gambits:

Vipers Strike: When you take the Attack action, you can replace one attack and spend 1 mettle to signal your allies to brace for an assault. Until the end of your next turn, up to 4 creatures within your Presence can take the dodge action as a bonus action. If an enemy miss an ally while they are dodging, you can spend 1 mettle as a reaction to allow the ally to make a single attack. (Merge Hold the line and Brace while allowing to play with the action economy + classic name)

Wolf-pack Tactic: When you take the Attack action, you can replace one attack and spend 1 mettle to signal your allies to move quickly in position. Until the end of your next turn, up to 4 creatures within your Presence can take the dash or disengage actions as a bonus action.

Create Opportunity: (instead of Extra attack) At 5th level, when you would make an attack of opportunity against an enemy, you can instead use your reaction to allow an ally within your Presence to make an attack against the enemy.
if I’m giving up an attack and spending 1 mettle, I’d rather give movement now that is actually extra movement, and benefits everyone. There are some good basic ideas here, but as written these don’t work with how the class is currently built.

Remove ads