• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Homebrew Marshal Class (+Thread)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, I kinda got lost on the way somewhere a long the discussion about gambit, their numbers and leveling.
I feel this class is getting a little to complex for my taste the further it goes. I'd like to see a first full draft when you have the time, to get my head around it.
Fair enough. I think it will write up simpler than the discussion makes it seem, but one of my biggest concerns is base class simplicity, so I’ll be keeping an eye there.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Fair enough. I think it will write up simpler than the discussion makes it seem, but one of my biggest concerns is base class simplicity, so I’ll be keeping an eye there.
Its mostly a matter of translation, I have to apply myself to re-read each post to be sure to understand how each mechanic works with the others. I probably not that hard to understand in the end :p

doctorbadwolf

Sorry for the lack of update. This week is incredibly busy. I have Friday, but I imagine I’ll spend much of it resting and cleaning and catching up on various things. Still, I’ll try to get at least a full level 11 draft up ASAP.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Sorry for the lack of update. This week is incredibly busy. I have Friday, but I imagine I’ll spend much of it resting and cleaning and catching up on various things. Still, I’ll try to get at least a full level 11 draft up ASAP.
We're all busy brother, don't stress. We'll be here when it goes up, whenever that is.(y)

doctorbadwolf

I wonder if there is room in this class for a beefy skill boost that is specific to knowledge skills. It'd make some overlap with the swordmage, but, there already is in that they are both int secondary warriors.

Maybe a bard-style expertise (2nd level, and a later level)? I think I'll try to find room for a skills boost here, and make sure it's not the same sort of boost that the swordmage gets. Even if it means pushing something else back or making something a gambit instead of a core feature, I think Marshals can stand out better and better fulfill the idea of being an intelligent warrior who thinks their way to victory, and honestly the class as designed right now is too combat focused.

thinking concept-first, they should be more well-rounded, and less hard-focused on being a support class, as such. One thing holding back clerics and bards is that you can only move so far away from support without choosing one or a couple non support subclasses.

doctorbadwolf

I wonder if there is room in this class for a beefy skill boost that is specific to knowledge skills. It'd make some overlap with the swordmage, but, there already is in that they are both int secondary warriors.

Maybe a bard-style expertise (2nd level, and a later level)? I think I'll try to find room for a skills boost here, and make sure it's not the same sort of boost that the swordmage gets. Even if it means pushing something else back or making something a gambit instead of a core feature, I think Marshals can stand out better and better fulfill the idea of being an intelligent warrior who thinks their way to victory, and honestly the class as designed right now is too combat focused.

thinking concept-first, they should be more well-rounded, and less hard-focused on being a support class, as such. One thing holding back clerics and bards is that you can only move so far away from support without choosing one or a couple non support subclasses.

Disregard most of that lol

Anyway, here is a first pass at putting all this into a homebrewery document. The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit

I added some gambits, and a Marshal's Expertise option, and split that feature into two to make things more clear.

Haven't added the Presense to the class table yet.

doctorbadwolf

I upgrade the presence progression so that it jumps to 30ft at 11, and 60ft at 17. I am considering making it "all creatures that can see and hear you" at 20, or I might save that for the capstone of the tactician.

Remove ads