• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Homebrew Marshal Class (+Thread)

Tony Vargas

Legend
True, but for now it may be best to make it a smaller number, and leave open the possibility of having more options later. Upon sleeping on it, I don’t want to build a dozen powers for each tier.
Starting with just a few representative examples at each tier seems like a good idea while developing it. Even if the structure is y'know, "pick 3" and there are only 3 choices, it's a start.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Proposal: level 18 feature. You gain 2 legendary actions per round. They can be used to perform any gambit that you know, regardless of what action the gambit would normally require.

Late tier gambit: As a bonus action, you and up to Int Mod allies can move up to half your speed, and make a single attack. (Cost tbd, probably like 5 or 6 mettle)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Are there any other classes that get legendary actions? If not, that may be drifting farther afield from the 5E template than necessary. Just a thought.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Are there any other classes that get legendary actions? If not, that may be drifting farther afield from the 5E template than necessary. Just a thought.
Well, y'know, things that work like legendary actions, but aren't, technically, 'cause that's a monster thang.

But, I do think it's a good point, a class shouldn't go using monster-oriented jargon.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ain’t too worried about the name of it, tbh. The point is to allow a high level marshal to do things absolutely no one else can do, in a way that expands their tactical range without multiplying real complexity.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Anyone still got steam on this?

should I just do a full class draft when I can, and post it?
Yeah, I kinda got lost on the way somewhere a long the discussion about gambit, their numbers and leveling.
I feel this class is getting a little to complex for my taste the further it goes. I'd like to see a first full draft when you have the time, to get my head around it.

Remove ads