• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Homebrew Marshal Class (+Thread)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Okay! To get back to forward progress, let’s leave any further editing of existing abilities until after we have levels 3 and 6 for the vanguard.

I do also have an idea for level 1, to distinguish different types ofmarshal regardless of subclass.

At level 1, you pick either expanded weapon and armor proficiencies, or a tool and a language.
I think its a good idea, but would add double prof in a lore skill and a tool, + language, to let the choise between the ''theorician'' marshal who's a scholar of battle, and the more practical ones with hand-on experience.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think its a good idea, but would add double prof in a lore skill and a tool, + language, to let the choise between the ''theorician'' marshal who's a scholar of battle, and the more practical ones with hand-on experience.
Let’s start with just proficiencies for the level 1 base class feature, and see if that’s something to give with a Warsage archetype?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Let’s start with just proficiencies for the level 1 base class feature, and see if that’s something to give with a Warsage archetype?
Yeah, maybe not ''expertise'', but maybe something more than a tool and a language? I think heavy armors and martial weapon prof are worth more than that, but I'm not sure.

doctorbadwolf

I agree. That said, giving a subclass the arcana skill would be one way to explain the ability to 'Marshal' magical effects - fluff it as a particular esoteric training or some such.
Absolutely. I had considered the idea of the whole class using fluff based on the Spanish Circle (or Thibault’s Circle) and Agrippa’s fencing manuals in very loose terms, but that might be a better fit for a slightly more control oreinted Swordmage style archetype.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
It might be cool to give a choice of three skills, each one indexing a subclass. Or just build that into the initial skill choice list. Languages and tools make a lot of sense. Two languages is fine, and I'd probably build a list of 'martial' tools and let them pick one. Cartography, Navigation, leather work, stone work, smithing, that sort of thing.

doctorbadwolf

It might be cool to give a choice of three skills, each one indexing a subclass. Or just build that into the initial skill choice list. Languages and tools make a lot of sense. Two languages is fine, and I'd probably build a list of 'martial' tools and let them pick one. Cartography, Navigation, leather work, stone work, smithing, that sort of thing.
I’m of two minds, there. I don’t necessarily want to control the concept that much, and would rather say “any [specific number] of, any language, artisan tool, or [specific non-artisan tools]” so that one Marshal could pick nav tools, vehicles (water), and whatever the main mariner race of the setting is language, while another could pick 3 languages, and another could pick 2 artisan tools and Gnomish.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Generally you don't get to pick between a language and a tool. Full choice of tools would be fine though, let them choose their own adventure. Not that picking between an artisan tool and a language is going to break the game or anything, it's just not the usual 5e template for class building.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads