D&D 5E Homebrew rules for focuses

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yeah, manipulating cost is the easiest thing honestly. And I like giving them an item they can strive for, and a reason to think of these things as having a reason and purpose to be built instead of just being a list of options that do the exact same thing. (Which honestly, I think makes the component pouch and orb already less than worthless. It conveys no benefit greater than the 5 gp options, but costs 4 to 5 times as much for what reason?)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just wish different focuses had something analogous to weapon stats, even if it only affected cantrips, and casters had something like Fighting Styles. I love the idea of a dual wand caster being different from a staff caster, or switching them out depending on the situation.

I also wish 5e had kept 4e’s idea of having Tomes as a set of casting focuses.

Make all 1 action casting spells use only V component.
then add any goodie you want for implements, but be strict in their application.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
As a side note: Component pouches are good at managing your hands as, while they still require a free hand to use, you spend fewer actions/object interactions drawing/stowing things, and the free hand can be used for other things like grappling or holding something that will leave your grasp by the time you start casting. On the other hand, some non-costly components can still be fiddly (like the one for Gentle Repose) so in situations like that a focus may be preferable.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Homebrew rule: The plural of focus is foci. If anyone says "focuses" their wand will only produce pumpkins for the next 24 hours.

Both are technically correct, just depends on your preference :p

As a side note: Component pouches are good at managing your hands as, while they still require a free hand to use, you spend fewer actions/object interactions drawing/stowing things, and the free hand can be used for other things like grappling or holding something that will leave your grasp by the time you start casting. On the other hand, some non-costly components can still be fiddly (like the one for Gentle Repose) so in situations like that a focus may be preferable.

I've never really liked worrying about "handedness". It's always seemed far more fiddly than useful, and it is stupidly easy to counteract in most circumstances (tying leather straps to your wand to attach it to your belt, then dropping it when you need the free hand)

It does make component pouches more useful if you are following those rules, but I've never actually played a table that uses them so it isn't a route I am going to end up thinking about.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Make all 1 action casting spells use only V component.
then add any goodie you want for implements, but be strict in their application.
Interesting. So you’re saying V is required to cast any spell, a focus adds S and some bonus depending on type, and component pouch adds M and some other benefit? Did I get that right?

Coroc

Hero
Staves count as quarterstaffs and can be used in melee.

Of course, this leads me to a problem. In the Eberron UA sidebar, they said using a focus with two hands increases your range by 50% and staffs are always two-handed. Well, can't give them two benefits, so I need to rethink that.

Did they finally get reasonable to tone down the qaurterstaff and making it a twohanded only weapon now?
And tbh it should have 1d6 twohanded only. Everything else devalues the spear and the greatclub.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Did they finally get reasonable to tone down the qaurterstaff and making it a twohanded only weapon now?
And tbh it should have 1d6 twohanded only. Everything else devalues the spear and the greatclub.
Nah, dawg. Roll club and greatclub together into a 1d6 versatile (1d8) weapon - basically what the quarterstaff currently is. Make quarterstaves 1d6 two-handed, reach. Drop spear’s versatile die down to 1d6 and give it a special property that it gains Reach when wielded in two hands. Boom goes the dynamite.

Coroc

Hero
Nah, dawg. Roll club and greatclub together into a 1d6 versatile (1d8) weapon - basically what the quarterstaff currently is. Make quarterstaves 1d6 two-handed, reach. Drop spear’s versatile die down to 1d6 and give it a special property that it gains Reach when wielded in two hands. Boom goes the dynamite.

Not how i do it but it is better than raw, yea and melee spears are reach weapons in my games that is for sure.

Remove ads