• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homosexuality in the Forgotten Realms

kuje31

First Post
It is more prevalent then the sourcebooks/novels make it out to be since TSR had issues about showing sex/etc in the novels/sourcebooks.

Ed himself has discussed it repeatedly on Candlekeep.com. You can find his compiled replies and the Index/Table of Contents, for the last three or four years, at my web site:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/kuje/

When looking through the ToC/Index, do a search/find for homosexuality/sex/sensuality.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I think he wants actual page number cites, folks. Also, what Greenwood did/does at home isn't canon if it hasn't been published by the setting's owner. It's house rules. Greenwood doesn't own the setting (and hasn't for quite some time) -- TSR/WotC does, so they are the entity that gets to declare official canon and, if they aren't publishing certain things, this means that they have made the decision to exclude them from official canon.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
dragonlordofpoondari said:
Not sure about the Realms, but there's plenty of evidence about Gayhawk ... erm ...

Tasteful discussion of sexuality in games is a good thing. However, slurs against groups of people are not an acceptable form of humor around here. Please, folks, don't continue along this line.

kuje31

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I think he wants actual page number cites, folks. Also, what Greenwood did/does at home isn't canon if it hasn't been published by the setting's owner. It's house rules. Greenwood doesn't own the setting (and hasn't for quite some time) -- TSR/WotC does, so they are the entity that gets to declare official canon and, if they aren't publishing certain things, this means that they have made the decision to exclude them from official canon.

Your statement is only half true since Ed knows his contract and his contract, when he sold the setting, states otherwise. We've had debates about this repeatedly, with Ed, for many years. Ed's comments, unless they are overwritten by TSR/WOTC, ARE canon. And since TSR/WOTC mostly ignores the sex/sexuality/homosexuality of the Realms, this makes Ed's comments still canon. If you wish to debate this, again, with Ed, he can be found at the site I mentioned above.

Last edited:

kuje31

First Post
As for those two links that were posted earlier in this thread, they are from Candlekeep discussions and they aren't misquoted. Ed has said those words and they are in my compiled replies from Ed.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
kuje31 said:
Ed's comments, unless they are overwritten by TSR/WOTC, ARE canon. If you wish to debate this, again, with Ed, he can be found at the site I mentioned above.

I am reminded of Arthur Dent - had to go down into a basement, with a flashlight, and it was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.’

Not to argue the legal point at all, but if it isn't published or even notably advertised, its canon state is not particularly meaningful. Who cares if it is canon if most of the fanbase is unaware of it? Certainly, they cannot apply what they don't know in their games - leading to a 'canon" element that does not appear in the setting's actual use...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads