Hope Never Dies - Part 1 : On the threshold of dawn

Lichtenhart

First Post
The little moon, the moon of destiny fades as the sun rises gloriously from the waves and your stolen boat hits the yellow sands of Alsinde.
Five days ago you escaped Hopeless Island.
The enormity of it hits you with the violence of a maul, as you make your first steps on the sand and the first fragrances of spring reach you, carried by the land breeze. Since you passed under the marble arch, you felt as if light, sound and smell had to pass through a thick layer of fog before reaching you. Now instead everything seems more real, more colorful, more alive. Freedom must have finally reached your soul, you realize as laughter fills your throaths.
But as you laugh, you also notice a strange sound, like distant barking. You turn to the north and you see a large white wolf and a grey dog, running towards you. Doubt crosses your minds, but they really are Mzarem and Grey, though they were both left in Karanarr, to the other side of the Middle Sea. And you think no other animal has ever been happier than them.
Mzarem jumps on Saxon, sending him straight down on the shore, and after a deep growl he starts licking his face lovingly.
Grey runs to george and starts running around his legs sending tidal waves of joy through his restored empathic link, then stops in front of him and begins his modulated, almost musical growling that is his togue to speak with his master.
George, you are surprised to understand perfectly waht Grey tries to say, as if you hadn't seen him for hours, rather than months.
- Boss, you're late. We've been waiting for you. Were you swinging the lead? -
You are also one of the few people who has ever had the honor of having a dog snicker at you.
For a brief instant you believe you've seen a little golden medal hanging from Grey's neck, portraying a bird, a dove maybe, but when you made the sesture of reaching it with your hand, it disappears in a wisp of smoke.

And after your senses, your thoughts too becomes clearer. There is something you don't grasp fully about your escape. For example how Mzarem and Grey arrived here. Or why no guard tried to pursue you with a faster ship. Or some other odd particular you noticed while you were on the island and now comes back to your mind with force.
Kur, a smell of freshly baked bread comes from the southwest, and you feel yor mouth water. True food, after all this time!

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Kur grins at the dogs, particularly the wolf, this is right. A real pack. The scent of warm food wafts through the air and Kur's stomach growls as he faces to the Southwest

Mmmm, bread.

However, the thought of fresh baked bread is marred by nagging thoughts about their escape. Was it George or Saxon who did the magics on the guards. What was it that made Kur turn just as the miner dropped the stray scrap of metal that proved the first key to freedom? Why did things seem a little . . . fuzzy.

Kur's eyes narrow as he grips his spirit amulet and calls on the old Shaman's gift, a growl begins in his throat. The crescent moon tattoo on his chest glows as it comes to life, its burning purity breaking any hold on the orc's mind.

Lichtenhart

First Post
Kur closes his eyes as he feels the silver energy awaken in his chest, and spread as white fire from his heart to his mind looking for the clutches of a compulsion to break and consume...only it doesn't find any, so it flows back to sleep in his chest, and the light from the tattoed moon fades.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Peregrine stretches and stands tall on the beach, gazing around at the unfamiliar surroundings. It has been a long time since he has seen anything new.

He stands back aways as the strange dogs charge the group, but relaxes when George and Saxon step forth to greet them. The obvious emotional connection between the two and their pets calls the old man back to Peregrine's mind for a second. He turns to face the waves and far off Hopeless Island one last time, but soon shakes his head as if to clear it and faces the others once more.

"We need a plan. We look too much like what we are, a band of escaped prisoners. We shall need new clothing, and supplies. Does anyone know anything about this place?"

Kalanyr

Explorer
George shakes his head as he pats Grey, as if trying to clear away something strange from his mind. When George responds to Grey the growls issueing from his throat seem strangely out of place

"At least you haven't changed much in my absence, my friend. I apologise for my tardiness, I was unavoidably detained by the inconsiderate magistrates. Do you remember how you came to be here ? "

Lichtenhart

First Post
- Well, boss, actually... i don't. I think I slept and dreamed a lot, and when I woke up on this beach, I knew you were arriving. I dunno how I came here. But I remember something of my dreams! I'm sure there was a charming blonde collie, a true beauty, and she was shining and nearly transparent at times. And she kissed me! Yeah, I remember that kiss.... -

Voadam

Legend
hafrogman said:
Peregrine stretches and stands tall on the beach, gazing around at the unfamiliar surroundings. It has been a long time since he has seen anything new.

He stands back aways as the strange dogs charge the group, but relaxes when George and Saxon step forth to greet them. The obvious emotional connection between the two and their pets calls the old man back to Peregrine's mind for a second. He turns to face the waves and far off Hopeless Island one last time, but soon shakes his head as if to clear it and faces the others once more.

"We need a plan. We look too much like what we are, a band of escaped prisoners. We shall need new clothing, and supplies. Does anyone know anything about this place?"

Kur shivers as the shaman magic passes through him then turns to the elf.

"I never fought in Alsindee. But we was told they have lots of majacs. And we have a saying, 'Kill the mage first' so that was big on our tribe's plan if we ever got sent here to fight." Kur grins and points southwest. "And I know the bread is that way."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Saxon gets back up to his feet, and messes around the the big wolf some more. Memories of the recent past are fuzzy, but fresh air fills his lungs and he is surrounded my nature.

"Well this is a pleasant surprise. I was worried I'd have to go find you, ha!" he says to Mzarem, and rubs him behind the ears.

Voadam said:
"And I know the bread is that way."

Saxon stands up and brushes himself off.

"Excellant news, but if we have no means of getting ourselves a share of it the land will always provide," Saxon says reassuringly, wondering what they could possibly barter in exchange for some food, "Speaking of the land though..."

He looks about at the plants nearby, studies the sky for a minute, gets a feel for the wind's speed and direction, and tries to determine as much information about where they are as possible.

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
From the shore you can see an underbrush of myrtle and other bushes slowly giving way to a pine wood. You can clearly see from the tilting trunks and branches that the dominant wind around here is the warm wind from the sea. You wouldn't be suprised to find some olive trees too. Already you feel the air warm up in the sun, and the land breeze slowly give way to the the same eastern wind that carries the sparse clouds far above you. You surely must be in Alsinde, a land where you're never been, and from what you remember of the stars during the last nights, you are a little south of where Karanarr was.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Saxon nods as his observations logically add up to their conclusion.

"Good call Kur, we are indeed in Alsinde, and from what I can tell not too far south of Karanarr either. All the same, I've never been this far south before. I have a fair knowledge of the wilderness here, Peregrin, and could easily keep all of us sustained while we travel, but that's from being a druid more than experience of the locale," he says, gazing off into the direction indicated by Kur.

"Hey George, it appears our canine companions make a good team when it comes to survival, yeah?" Saxon says, pondering how the two animals could have achieved what they did in coming here and waiting for them.

Last edited:

Remove ads