D&D (2024) (+) Hopes for The Monk

Clint_L

Hero
I think Way of Mercy should be the model for monk sub-classes going forward, because it does things with ki that actually change it from playing like other monks and present the player with viable competing choices. Heal, or do extra damage? Attempt to stun, or apply the poisoned condition to your foe? I'm playing a mercy monk right now, and at level 6 it feels like monks should feel: a valuable contributor who fits an important niche in the party. In comparison to other class/sub-classes, I would put mercy monk as a solid B/B+.

The good news is that as the most recent monk sub-class, Mercy gives us some insight into where the class is headed. Hopefully.

Vael

Legend
I never saw it in play, so while I like it, I don't know if it worked at the table, but the 13th Age version of the Monk had an interesting way of doing martial arts without Ki. You would learn a martial technique that would consist of three moves: an Opener, Chain and a Finisher. You can use any Chain attack you know the round after using an Opener, and can only use a Finisher after you use a Chain Attack. I've quite liked this as a way to do a "Tome of Battle" style martial combat in 5e.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don’t understand why there are so many people suggesting that the monk have at-will abilities that are only at-will as long as they have 1 ki. Why?

Stalker0

Legend
I don’t understand why there are so many people suggesting that the monk have at-will abilities that are only at-will as long as they have 1 ki. Why?
If we look at other martials, their schtick is delivering consistent performance no matter the situation. Sure a fighter without action surge isn’t as great, but they can still get the job done with solid attacks and a strong AC.

The perception of the monk is that it lacks stamina, it blows through it’s Ki quickly, and a monk without ki is a bad class.

So a lot of suggestions are around more staying power, the simplest being more ki, with others looking for ways to give them power without spending Ki

doctorbadwolf

If we look at other martials, their schtick is delivering consistent performance no matter the situation. Sure a fighter without action surge isn’t as great, but they can still get the job done with solid attacks and a strong AC.

The perception of the monk is that it lacks stamina, it blows through it’s Ki quickly, and a monk without ki is a bad class.

So a lot of suggestions are around more staying power, the simplest being more ki, with others looking for ways to give them power without spending Ki
Oh no I didn’t make my source of confusion clear, sorry.

I don’t get the “as long as they have 1 or more ki” part. Why not just…actually at-will?

I do consider martial arts attack and Unarmored movement to be cantrip versions of flurry and step of the wind, but you have to be open hand to get close to at-will version of stunning strike, and even then it’s an added rider on FoB.

Which is part of why I proposed:

Deflect missiles becomes deflect attacks

Martial arts attack gets a boost at later levels

Unarmored movement also increases jump height and distance.

And I’d also propose, as part of the stunning strikes feature at level 6, when you hit with an unarmed attack, you can perform two effects of the unarmed attack, rather than one, and you gain new effects you can perform. (Disarm, silence, deny reactions for 1 round, aid an ally’s next attack against the target)

oh, and I’d add a “iron fist” thing (not called that) where you concentrate ki into your fists and deal extra damage with every attack until the end of your next turn, and then 11 level or later you get more attacks.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Oh no I didn’t make my source of confusion clear, sorry.

I don’t get the “as long as they have 1 or more ki” part. Why not just…actually at-will?

I do consider martial arts attack and Unarmored movement to be cantrip versions of flurry and step of the wind, but you have to be open hand to get close to at-will version of stunning strike, and even then it’s an added rider on FoB.

Which is part of why I proposed:

Deflect missiles becomes deflect attacks

Martial arts attack gets a boost at later levels

Unarmored movement also increases jump height and distance.

And I’d also propose, as part of the stunning strikes feature at level 6, when you hit with an unarmed attack, you can perform two effects of the unarmed attack, rather than one, and you gain new effects you can perform. (Disarm, silence, deny reactions for 1 round, aid an ally’s next attack against the target)

oh, and I’d add a “iron fist” thing (not called that) where you concentrate ki into your fists and deal extra damage with every attack until the end of your next turn, and then 11 level or later you get more attacks.
Mostly for flavor; it might seem weird to some that the Monk can still perform some feats even without any Ki; a lot of Pathfinder 1e classes have abilities like this, like the Swashbuckler. Having "gas in the tank" to support your special powers, and also, not being able to perform them when running on empty has some verisimilitude.

The 3.5 era Reserve Feats function along these same lines, giving you an at will magic ability that you can only use if you have spell slot unspent to power them. So there is a cost to these abilities, you're not just getting something for nothing.

I didn't suggest this sort of thing because I felt it was a balance point so much as I assumed other people would feel it was better balanced. :)

doctorbadwolf

Mostly for flavor; it might seem weird to some that the Monk can still perform some feats even without any Ki; a lot of Pathfinder 1e classes have abilities like this, like the Swashbuckler. Having "gas in the tank" to support your special powers, and also, not being able to perform them when running on empty has some verisimilitude.

The 3.5 era Reserve Feats function along these same lines, giving you an at will magic ability that you can only use if you have spell slot unspent to power them. So there is a cost to these abilities, you're not just getting something for nothing.

I didn't suggest this sort of thing because I felt it was a balance point so much as I assumed other people would feel it was better balanced. :)
Ah okay. That makes sense. It’s not my cup of tea, but I can dig it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases