Horn of Self-Tooting (from, Best 3pp products...)

Sigurd

First Post
Sorry, can't resist this one:

The Horn of Self-Tooting.

This is an apparently ordinary but very high quality horn, but in reality it is magical.

6 versions exist: Lesser (+3), normal (+6), greater (+9), lesser epic (+12), epic (+15) and greater epic (+18)

To use it a character must play it for a period of time. At the end of the playing they make a perform check at the DC of the horn, failure means they suffer a charisma penalty equal to the horn's power, success means a charisma bonus equal to the horn's power. The effect lasts for the same period the horn was played. The minimum playing interval is the bonus of the horn, playing it for a shorter period always results in failure. Playing the horn is tiring, the DC rises by 1 for every minute of play.

Price?

Nefarious cursed versions of the horn exist in some locations. Cursed versions create a pungent stink around the player in the presence of a certain audience, say women, or nobility. The player is oblivious to the stink until after they have stopped. The stink has a radius of 10' per round played and lasts 3 times the playing interval.
A player need only be aware that a member of the audience is listening for the curse to take affect. A successful perform DC results in a charisma penalty equal to half the horns power. A failed perform DC results in a penalty equal to twice the horns power.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
And believe you me, those reviews are appreciated. I even appreciate the bad ones (not that you've ever given me a bad review, and not that I've ever had more than one). Honest reviews are valuable for me, both for the feedback about content quality and for the small boosts in sales that they generate.

I'm barely a publisher. I'm a one-man operation who tries to crank out one new PDF a month so that I can supplement my income from teaching and share some ideas about things that I think might make your game better. So, for example, if I see a thread on an RPG site wherein someone is, say, complaining about 3.5-esque Craft rules, and I chime in about my Making Craft Work, and then some poster gets all snarky because I've crossed some imaginary line, it's a tad irritating.

Fortunately, I've got skin thick enough to hang sheetrock from. :)

for the record, My dm brings in a lot of material from Spes magna (I think that is Mark chances sight) and we use it in our game. I can see if I can get a list of what we use if someone is interested.

(take that mr. thick skin! oh, wait. that was a complement . . .)

On an aside, i love the title of this thread. I had no idea of what it was about.

Dark Mistress

First Post
And believe you me, those reviews are appreciated. I even appreciate the bad ones (not that you've ever given me a bad review, and not that I've ever had more than one). Honest reviews are valuable for me, both for the feedback about content quality and for the small boosts in sales that they generate.

Mostly cause your stuff while well done, is hard to review. I feel to give a good serious review would require play testing to see how it really works. Like your crafting book. I have not been the group GM for awhile and the guy that is, doesn't like to play test anything.

Your new class you are working on though I will be reviewing when you finish it.

Qwillion

First Post
[MENTION=15538]pawsplay[/MENTION],
One thing, though: I would have had far less problems with the original thread if, say, a publisher would have found it within him-or herself to actually praise another publisher's product because they like them as a gamer, and only then going on to suggest their own stuff. E.g.:

Ryltar, please go look at post #3 in the original thread.

I promoted Super Genius Games guide to the Time Thief. I never said word one about Rite Publishing (They are my #1 Rival as Dark Mistress pointed out later).

The one post i made after that was a thank you for someone mentioning my product as their favorite.

So I did exactly what you said a publisher should of done, but you seem to either have missed this fact or are ignoring it so I felt compelled to point it out. (which I guess makes the point that you have to by hyperbolic, to get noticed)

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

And believe you me, those reviews are appreciated.
So, Has any one seen the Spes Magna pdf: A Medieval Holiday? I was looking at the sample of the table of contents

Preparing Thy Dining Hall
Cover Thy Table
Cover Thy Walls
Dym Thy Lights
Invite the Ryght People

I need to get this pdf! hilarity will ensue, I am sure!

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
So, Has any one seen the Spes Magna pdf: A Medieval Holiday? I was looking at the sample of the table of contents....

I've seen it. :)

Please keep in mind that A Medieval Holiday is mostly tongue-in-cheek hosting tips and actual recipes. The only specific game content in it is the Trencherman prestige class.

Speaking of Spes Magna Games PDFs, Masters of Disguise is now available. It's picked up two 4-star reviews at Paizo.com. Reviewer Monkeygod writes (in part):

I really like this book a lot. While the Class itself is very narrow, it is also really flavorful and fun, appealing to my very sneaky side.

The new feats, skill uses, spells and magic items are really niffty and useful, as well as being unique enough to stand out from all the rest we've seen.

Reviewer Dark Mistress wrote (in part):

So whats my rating? Well on one hand the [masque base] class is a very niche class, which hurts it appeal some. I think it makes a much better NPC class, it is useful as a PC in some types of campaigns. As a NPC though it is very nice. The other stuff in the book while mostly geared for the class can by used by most anyone and virtually of it is useful. There is a few minor flaws with the product that I mentioned, but it is cheap too. So for the price I am giving it a 4 star review.

Dark Mistress's review also appears on DriveThruRPG.

:)

Scott DeWar

AHA! self tooting at its best!, but glad to hear of your reviews MC! Now, about our game in the game threads . . . . .

Remove ads