D&D 5E House Rule: Weapons Do Something On a Miss

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Could my mace sing show tunes when I whiff? That would be keen. Oh, wait, even better, I have twin short swords called Stadler and Waldorf that comment on every miss... That's the worst swing I've ever seen...

Vaalingrade

Legend
FYI it is better to use italics: by being engaged in melee combat. for emphasis than all caps.

Unless you actually meant to yell? In which case, not recommended but ok... 🤷‍♂️
It does get the message of 'stop trying to be interesting and go back to swinging heavy things' through very clearly though. Not sure that was the intent but...

Edit:

Ah, so it was 'get out of this game' instead.

Horwath

Legend
Point with effects on a miss:
Why are those effects not activated on a hit also?

Why would you get +1 to AC when you miss, when hitting an opponent would surely make him even more unbalanced or you in even more advantageous position.

So, some amount of damage is still the best way to add some effect of a miss. Unless you have a rider on your attack and you could have reduced effect of that rider.

As for damage, half of minimum damage is OK on a miss if you combats lasts too long.

I.E. greatsword with 2d6+3 damage would do 2 damage on a miss.
Might include that targets that have COVER reduce this damage by cover bonus to AC and anyone that takes DODGE action does not suffer damage on a miss

Remove ads