House Rules Rating System

Zogmo

First Post
There are so many cool things people have done here with the 4e rules and I don't have the time to go over every thread and I don't want to miss something I might really like.
I wish (not really *wish* you know, just in case...) that there was a rating system so we could check out the highest rated HR's.
Maybe make it like a poll, (vote 1 through 10) and have all of these HR polls linked so that an ENWorld user could see poll results at the top of the page and links below to go to that particular rule.
Or have a ratings bar to click on at the bottom of the HR post.

I have no idea how any websites do anything so I don't know how it works, it's probably not possible but would be pretty cool I think.

Samurai

Adventurer
Zogmo said:
There are so many cool things people have done here with the 4e rules and I don't have the time to go over every thread and I don't want to miss something I might really like.
I wish (not really *wish* you know, just in case...) that there was a rating system so we could check out the highest rated HR's.
Maybe make it like a poll, (vote 1 through 10) and have all of these HR polls linked so that an ENWorld user could see poll results at the top of the page and links below to go to that particular rule.
Or have a ratings bar to click on at the bottom of the HR post.

I have no idea how any websites do anything so I don't know how it works, it's probably not possible but would be pretty cool I think.
The thing is, not everyone is looking for the same things... one persons house rules may make the game grittier and more dangerous, another's more heroic and pulpish, because that is their vision of what D&D should be. So the gritty guy won't like the heroic house rules, and the heroic guy won't like the gritty house rules. I'd say try to at least glance over the work of people who seem to want to move the game in the same direction as you. ou may not like everything, but you may find a gem or 2 of an idea that you can use, or at least spark your imagination.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Samurai said:
So the gritty guy won't like the heroic house rules, and the heroic guy won't like the gritty house rules.
You could still rate the clarity and quality of the house rules. Plus, you can rate it appropriately, i.e. how well the rule achieves the given aims.

If you put up a gritty house rule, even the heroic guy could vote, how well the rule fills the "gritty" niche.

Cheers, LT.

Samurai

Adventurer
Lord Tirian said:
You could still rate the clarity and quality of the house rules. Plus, you can rate it appropriately, i.e. how well the rule achieves the given aims.

If you put up a gritty house rule, even the heroic guy could vote, how well the rule fills the "gritty" niche.

Cheers, LT.
True, but not everyone is able to step outside of their own desires for "what D&D should be"...

Still, I'm willing to put up my rules for a sample judging if you like. I haven't gotten nearly the feedback on them that I hoped, perhaps in part because they are 6 pages long, not a few simple paragraphs...

Khaalis

Adventurer
Still, I'm willing to put up my rules for a sample judging if you like. I haven't gotten nearly the feedback on them that I hoped, perhaps in part because they are 6 pages long, not a few simple paragraphs...
I tend to notice that the longer a House Rule takes to read and absorb, the less responses it gets. If you have 6 pages worth, you might want to break them down into individual posts by rule. Classes and races also tend to be tough to get a lot of responses on as well.

Samurai

Adventurer
I tend to notice that the longer a House Rule takes to read and absorb, the less responses it gets. If you have 6 pages worth, you might want to break them down into individual posts by rule. Classes and races also tend to be tough to get a lot of responses on as well.

I was afraid that it might be called spamming if I posted 4 or 5 threads on my house rules, each focusing on a different part... I suppose I could do it all in 1 thread, though really getting the pdf is best since the tables are nicely formatted, bolding of the names makes it easier to read, etc.

There's only 1 variant class and it isn't long, it uses the existing powers. It's mostly fixing the skill challenge system, new and revised feats, and rebalanced powers. Here it is below, if you'd care to take a look.

Attachments

• D&D 4e rules changes 1.5.pdf
    135.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
I was afraid that it might be called spamming if I posted 4 or 5 threads on my house rules, each focusing on a different part... I suppose I could do it all in 1 thread, though really getting the pdf is best since the tables are nicely formatted, bolding of the names makes it easier to read, etc.
What I would do is start a thread for each individual house rule, copy and paste most of the material, but note that the tables, etc. are best read in the PDF and link to the PDF. This has a twofold benefit. People can respond to individual rules as they feel the desire to. Secondly, it might get more people to see the PDF and take not of other house rules they wouldn't normally have bothered to look at.

Overall, I find that the HR board is kind of unpredictable when it comes to whether or not something will get feedback or not. I've posted some things that got no response and others that had so many responses they had to have the threads split numerous times. No rhyme or reason... /shrug.

Remove ads