D&D 1E How about a little love for AD&D 1E

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That’s ahistorical. Dave ran a game for Gary. Gary requested some notes so he could run it. Dave obliged. Gary then modified those notes with little to no input from Dave and published them as D&D. Gary later went on to create AD&D with no input from or credit to Dave. Dave sued over this and won. At no time did Dave and Gary in any meaningful way collaborate. Especially not on anything for AD&D.
Building on someone else's work is collaboration, just not good faith collaboration if you're doing it without permission.

Of course, I don't know the history backwards and forwards, so this is assuming you are correct about how it went down.

dagger

Adventurer
AD&D 1e is my game but I also like 2e. After so many years of playing both I actually consider them the same game.

Every spell, class, monster, item, adventure, campaign setting, race, skill system, and everything else is compatible for either with no work.

Voadam

Legend
AD&D 1e is my game but I also like 2e. After so many years of playing both I actually consider them the same game.

Every spell, class, monster, item, adventure, campaign setting, race, skill system, and everything else is compatible for either with no work.
Almost no work.

Spell casting time, monster xp, drow pc abilities, racial level limits, and psionics are different

Remove ads