D&D 1E How about a little love for AD&D 1E

GREENGEMS

Villager
I've probably played more 1e than any other RPG. My gaming sensibilities are informed by it, and I compare every game I've encountered since to 1e in some way. The feeling of danger and real threat in 1e has never been equaled in my estimation, and that's something I've always wanted out of my gaming
Your words are powered by the truth my friend, I have never played any other RPG (edition of AD&D, or D&D) save BECMI or AD&D 1e. There was just never a desire, 2nd edition splat books piss me off every time I tried to read one. Gary's game is my game for good, cheers!!!

GREENGEMS

Villager
MY version of Gary's game is better than Gary's. I thought of things he didn't, and perhaps even devised things beyond his capability - but 1E is the game it's based on.
That is very interesting of-course, I have heard & read that same phrase (or variations) many times over. (MY version of Gary’s game is better than Gary’s). That’s exactly what Gary Gygax & Arneson did when they created a bunch of rules and put them into a ‘DM’s Guide,’ not a RULEBOOK and you used them as needed for you and your players. You obviously enjoy what he and Arneson created I certainly have. ‘Gary’s Game’ will always be the best game ever, because your game can be better fir you & your players as a result of their totally awesome efforts. (Correction)👍😁☘️
Cheers Gary Gygax & Dave Arneson

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
MY version of Gary's game is better than Gary's. I thought of things he didn't, and perhaps even devised things beyond his capability - but 1E is the game it's based on.

My sentiment as well. AD&D is Gary's D&D, which is cool and all, I respect it, I have all the AD&D books on my shelf and regard them as "case law" or "precedent" with respect to my own D&D campaigns — but I'm interested in playing my take on the game that Gary & Dave made, not Gary's take on the game that Gary & Dave made.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That is very interesting of-course, I have heard & read that same phrase (or variations) many times over. (MY version of Gary’s game is better than Gary’s). That’s exactly what Gary Gygax & Arneson did when they created a bunch of rules and put them into a ‘DM’s Guide,’ not a RULEBOOK and you used them as needed for you and your players. You obviously enjoy what he and Arneson created I certainly have. ‘Gary’s Game’ will always be the best game ever, because your game can be better fir you & your players as a result of their totally awesome efforts. (Correction)👍😁☘️
Cheers Gary Gygax & Dave Arneson
That’s ahistorical. Dave ran a game for Gary. Gary requested some notes so he could run it. Dave obliged. Gary then modified those notes with little to no input from Dave and published them as D&D. Gary later went on to create AD&D with no input from or credit to Dave. Dave sued over this and won. At no time did Dave and Gary in any meaningful way collaborate. Especially not on anything for AD&D.

GREENGEMS

Villager
My sentiment as well. AD&D is Gary's D&D, which is cool and all, I respect it, I have all the AD&D books on my shelf and regard them as "case law" or "precedent" with respect to my own D&D campaigns — but I'm interested in playing my take on the game that Gary & Dave made, not Gary's take on the game that Gary & Dave made.
Excellent my point exactly, was not being clear here. As you said, Gary & Dave opened doors that I had never contemplated before and I dove right on in. Which is to say I choose the rules that best fit my game & players. Experimentation is awesome!!! I can play Gary’s game to the best of my ability like Gary (hard), OR I can make my own version of Gary’s game, and that’s the beauty of it all. Never had the honor of meeting those two gents, but I am indebted to their life long devotion & passion for the game, they taught me a lot. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons or BECMI, no other rules or guides are needed
Hands down the two best games ever created 👍😁☘️ cheers and thank you for reply’s, I do love the game👍😁☘️

GREENGEMS

Villager
That’s ahistorical. Dave ran a game for Gary. Gary requested some notes so he could run it. Dave obliged. Gary then modified those notes with little to no input from Dave and published them as D&D. Gary later went on to create AD&D with no input from or credit to Dave. Dave sued over this and won. At no time did Dave and Gary in any meaningful way collaborate. Especially not on anything for AD&D.
You know all that doesn’t mean anything more, they are both gone, Gary was gaming before Dave was born. Dave came to play games at Gary’s house etc etc etc
Both of their contributions will live forever. Dave Arneson was one the best gamers and writers, I’ve read his story, there is no doubt his contributions by creating his own game of Blackmoor are legend as well. Both deserve a great deal of credit for creating the game I enjoy most 👍😁☘️ by the way
BOTH of their names are ON the FRONT of the DM’s Guide, they definitely collaborated on that, like it or 👍

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You know all that doesn’t mean anything more…
Accurate history (as accurate as we can make it), always matters.
BOTH of their names are ON the FRONT of the DM’s Guide, they definitely collaborated on that, like it or 👍
Really? Dave sued Gary for cutting him out, not crediting him, and not paying royalties for AD&D. Sorry, but you’re just wrong.

6B5404E7-1312-4A1A-963D-73871E58FA6B.jpeg

GREENGEMS

Villager
Accurate history (as accurate as we can make it), always matters.

Really? Dave sued Gary for cutting him out, not crediting him, and not paying royalties for AD&D. Sorry, but you’re just wrong.

View attachment 287941
You are right about that, I haven't looked at the book in a long time, for some reason, I really thought they had collaborated on the DM's Guide as they had on a few other things before things went south?? #Bizzare

Remove ads