D&D 5E How about this for 5E Campaign Settings: "Classic Worlds of D&D"

Mercurius

Legend
While we're on the topic of Zakhara, is the best overall setting product the Land of Fate box set? I've never owned any Al-Qadim products, but I assume the Al-Qadim book includes a lot of crunch and a broad overview, while Land of Fate is more of the world guide. What other setting books are worth checking out?

Stormonu

Legend
Boxed set or GTFO

As for the multiple timelines, L5R deals with multiple timelines for their game just fine, from pre Scorpion coup through Hidden Emperor timeline and beyond.

Brock Landers

Banned
Banned
While we're on the topic of Zakhara, is the best overall setting product the Land of Fate box set? I've never owned any Al-Qadim products, but I assume the Al-Qadim book includes a lot of crunch and a broad overview, while Land of Fate is more of the world guide. What other setting books are worth checking out?

The original Al-Qadim campaign setting perfect-bound softcover is essential, then the Land of Fate Boxed set, you really just need those two, but after, the key ones for me are Secrets of the Lamp and Complete Sha'irs Handbook (some great ideas in there, the Clockwork Mage/Mechanician), oh, and the Golden Huzuz (the capital city) boxed set is very rich.

Most of the product line is sweet, Golden Voyages (mini-boxed set of adventures) by David Cook is killer. And the Monstrous Compendium appendix kicks ass.

Mercurius

Legend
The original Al-Qadim campaign setting perfect-bound softcover is essential, then the Land of Fate Boxed set, you really just need those two, but after, the key ones for me are Secrets of the Lamp and Complete Sha'irs Handbook (some great ideas in there, the Clockwork Mage/Mechanician), oh, and the Golden Huzuz (the capital city) boxed set is very rich.

Most of the product line is sweet, Golden Voyages (mini-boxed set of adventures) by David Cook is killer. And the Monstrous Compendium appendix kicks ass.

Thanks Brock (lol, btw - great movie). Does the softcover have anything setting-wise that Land of Fate doesn't? I'd be buying it just for reading and ideas, not interested in crunch.

Nellisir

Hero
Thanks Brock (lol, btw - great movie). Does the softcover have anything setting-wise that Land of Fate doesn't? I'd be buying it just for reading and ideas, not interested in crunch.
I think the softcover introduces a lot of ideas that get expanded in the boxed set. You'd need the softcover to really get sha'ir, for instance. The two work together.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
From my prospective, publishing a campaign setting isn't going to do much. I want it to have supplements detailing smaller locations. I want adventures that explore the setting more. I want a full on campaign/adventure path so I can start at low level and end at some high level without much work on my part.

Doing a 4e style of 1 and done is going to turn me off from the setting.

Mercurius

Legend
From my prospective, publishing a campaign setting isn't going to do much. I want it to have supplements detailing smaller locations. I want adventures that explore the setting more. I want a full on campaign/adventure path so I can start at low level and end at some high level without much work on my part.

Doing a 4e style of 1 and done is going to turn me off from the setting.

I agree as far as the default, supported setting goes. But this was about "classic settings" - a way to get Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun etc into 5E without full support.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I agree as far as the default, supported setting goes. But this was about "classic settings" - a way to get Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun etc into 5E without full support.

I'm not going to be interested in the setting unless here is "full" support. IMO, the best way for Wizards to do that for less popular settings is to publish the main book and then license off the setting to another company (aka a D&D 5e compatible company that has proven they can publish qulity material and are interested in the setting). So while Wizards is focusing on the Forgotten Realms, another company can be providing material for the Planescape book Wizards published.

This way, the setting is still well supported and Wizards doesn't have to spend more time providing supplements for a setting that is not going to give them as great a return on investment as the FR does.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm not going to be interested in the setting unless here is "full" support. IMO, the best way for Wizards to do that for less popular settings is to publish the main book and then license off the setting to another company (aka a D&D 5e compatible company that has proven they can publish qulity material and are interested in the setting). So while Wizards is focusing on the Forgotten Realms, another company can be providing material for the Planescape book Wizards published.

This way, the setting is still well supported and Wizards doesn't have to spend more time providing supplements for a setting that is not going to give them as great a return on investment as the FR does.

I like this idea. Actually, it would be a good way to offer the good things about the OGL (creative freedom and diversity of products) but do away with the bad (a glut of poor quality products). In other words, the OGL for 5e could be selectively given out to companies that apply for it and WotC would award the license to the one that they felt could best develop the line. So you might have "Great Wheel Publishing" doing Planescape and Red Box Publishing doing Mystara, etc.

I would just hope that they wouldn't require a fee so that publishers were awarded a license based upon merit and not money.

I don't think the above will happen, and I'm sure there are problems with it that I haven't thought of, but its an interesting idea to consider.

Remove ads