How about your OWN "Dragon" Mag?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Just as an FYI, looking at various printing options at the moment...crunching numbers, etc...in between other actual work stuff. ;)

Also, thanks again to falcarrion. That kickstarter website is an AWESOME idea! I have multiple projects I'll be using them for. lol.

Thanks to everyone for your kind interest I look forward to collaborating with several of you. I'll let you all know submission specs soon as I draw them up and start taking them.

Still interested in ideas for a title and/or columns/articles you'd like to see. So don't be shy.

Couple of titles I've been kicking around in my mind...
"The Veil"
also like "The Vale"
but think my frontrunner is "Under the Table"
or something about/with "the Table"
...suppose I could always just call it "Steel Dragon's" lol. That's a bit too conceited for me, I think. ;)

I like the table idea a lot but then think it might limit the readership by leading them to think content is all Table Top gaming (which, most certainly will be the bulk of it!).

Still, I wouldn't want to limit the possible content/summarily cut out such things as video game reviews or talk about wargaming minis or coolest forum/website/online resources/PbP games, etc..other non-TTRPG stuff that still could fall under the "gaming hobby" umbrella...

There will definitely be a focus on fantasy...again, I'm thinking 90% or more. But, for example, if this mag was already in print, I would most definitley have wanted articles/talk about the upcoming re-release of Gamma World...and shortly thereafter a review of the game.

Like I said, taking all thoughts on a title but think in terms of a magazine primarily about fantasy flavored RPing.

--Steel Dragons

khantroll

Explorer
I vote for "Under the Table". It seems, to me, to say gaming, which conjures D&D imagery, but leaves it broad enough to cover things like Gamma World or whatever else they might come up with.

Great idea, though. I can't wait to see how it progresses. :D

Tortoise

First Post
Perhaps doing this as an APA (Amateur Press Association) style zine similar to the old "Alarums & Excursions" might be the way to go.

People could submit their own edited pieces to someone willing to put it together in a pdf and make it available for download on a quarterly schedule. If someone wanted to have a print copy they could send it to some place like Lulu and get a bound copy made.

This method would leave it open for all sorts of articles.

The only things needed would be someone willing to compile, and an agreement on the accepted format to use.

A Letter/comments section could be included for those that want to say something about others works in previous issues.

This format would also lend itself to people building off of others ideas which is something lacking in the current Dungeon/Dragon format and current print mags.

If it takes off and begins to get too thick for a quarterly schedule then it could move to bi-monthly, etc as long as there were some dedicated editors willing to handle it.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I would love to see an alternative 4E-oriented magazine. I like what I've seen of KQ, but the fact that most months at least half of the crunch is for a system I don't run is a big turn-off. Personally, I've always wanted to see EN Publishing take up something like that, but I don't know if they have the manpower for that.

If you're fully aware of how ridiculous starting a magazine is in this day and age it and yet still want to go through with it, then go for it! It's better to light a single candle then to curse the darkness!

Maybe I'll be one of those people who contribute an article!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Thanks everyone for the support and interest.

@ Michaelsomething: I know you don't know me...but I am pretty well known by those in my life for taking the path of ridiculousness more often than not. hahaha. ;)

Just as an FYI, my dad died somewhat suddenly this week. So things might be on hold for a week or two before I really get back to rolling on this.

But I am "in it to win it", so to speak. :) Just wanted to let any interested readers or contributors know that this wasn't just some random passing thread gone the way of the dodo.

I'll get back to serious development on this in a bit.

Thanks. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
--Steel Dragons

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Thanks very much tadk and, again, Camelot.

Anyone who's interested can feel free to PM me with writing samples or ideas for columns/articles you'd either like to see or would be interested in submitting...ideas for topics you'd like to see covered but wouldn't/couldn't do them yourself, really just about any ideas.

Here's what I am thinking I'd like to see/have for the first issue (I'm working on the presumption of Winter (Dec., Jan., Feb.) 2011/2012 being the premiere issue-hopefully releasing on mid-late Nov.)...we'll just use "Under the Table" as a working title for now...I'm still not 100%:

• 4e (needs a catchy section name): Essentially 1 or 2 spreads (2-4 pages) of 4e material. Could be anything 4e related. Rules, characters, new materials coming out, review of materials that have come out. Preferably 2 or 3 smaller pieces to constitute a "section" with one being the longer (full page) "featured" piece.
  • "Ye Olde Skoole": a section for Basic/BECMI/1e & 2e, 2-4 pages of materials related to any pre-3e D&D or alternative "old school" system. I'm am definitely thinking I want to get a review of the up & coming system from Goodman Games (who's name escapes me at the moment) since I know they're planning on releasing in Nov...I think...but that might/could also be a separate feature.
  • "Reviews": 1-2 pp Rule books, gaming systems, campaign settings, fantasy novels, fantasy video games...pretty much anything one can review could go in here.
  • "Caverns & Computers": a 'computer corner' type regular feature. Online resources and services, reviews for internet tools, MMORPGs, PbPs, PbEMs, commentary or opinion pieces on the use of computers in TTgaming, the shift from TT to gaming with computers. Preferably not more than 1-2 pages on this.
  • Story Hour (needs a catchy section name): up to 4 pages/issue for short stories and/or an installment of a longer ongoing tale.
  • Campaigns: interesting NPCs, mini-modules and/or regular installments for an extended ongoing campaign. Could also include short pieces on tips and tricks for creating characters, plot hook ideas, stuff like that. Maybe, I dunno...up to 10 pages/issue on that? Too much? Not enough?
  • Letters: 1/2 to a full page for answering/printing letters (emails) submitted to the magazine.
  • Features: This would all leave around 4-5 pages for other feature articles (probably mostly "up front" or spread throughout the mag) that don't fit any of those recurring sections/columns. Interviews, discussions on character creation/development, (any RPG) game theory and play, the occasional different (i.e. sci-fi, supers, steampunk, etc...) RPG...really, whatever people come up with.

The rest then, hopefully, is advertising and incidentals (the "letter from the editor", masthead, index, contents page, etc...)

Things are calming down with all of the "family wrap up stuff" in a bit, so I should be getting back to this in the coming week or two.

But think about anything you'd be interested in contributing and see if it fits into any of this...if not I'm really pretty flexible so pitch it to me anyway. :)

ALSO, anyone interested in editing a particular section or expert in a particular system who can double check stat blocks, etc...that would be handy too.

Thanks very much to everyone who's already gotten in touch, I think we're gonna make this a really useful and FUN publication to have and be a part of.

Til later, have fun and happy gaming.
--Steel Dragons

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OH! Also, the computer section (or somewhere in the here) I want to also include an -as up to date as possible- listing/index for sites and links for RPGs (mostly fantasy, but we'll see what all's out there)

And, perhaps, most importantly, if anyone has contact info or some direction for getting people with skills/services/companies who might be interested in advertising...and possible distribution points...that is all welcome info as well.

Thanks again to everyone for their interest.
--SD

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Forgot to throw in there a regular column for 3x and Pathfinder. These can, no doubt, be covered by individual articles but if someone wants to commit to a specifically 3x and/or PF column we could certainly do that.

I don't really, though, want to have an individual company singled out for a recurring column. They'd be handled more through individual features.

The only "editions" I really specifically want to group together as a "section" is the "old school" and "retro-clone" stuff since it is multiple systems that are so specifically separate.

So really, 3e, 4e, PF and other non-old school games/versions could just be handled on an article-by-article basis....but, again, this is all in a fairly formative stage at this point, so we'll see what people want/write/come up with.

--SD

Remove ads