How are the enworlds ads suitable for children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If you don't want to see a type of ad, then either get an ad blocker, browse privately, or don't browse sites related to what you don't want to see

Another tactic - do searches on stuff you do want to see. Recently, I used google to help me find a new shower head, and now my ads are all from Delta faucets and Moen, and general home improvement. If I want to get rid of those, I can do some searches on, say, dice vaults, minis terrain, and laptops, and change the character of the ads I see.

When you do searches or go to websites on topics you don't want to see ads about, it also helps to use your browser's private or incognito mode - after your session, the cookies are deleted.

Things can get a little creepy, because these systems often make assumptions. They can tell that my wife and I live together. So, if she does online shopping for clothing, I can start getting ads for women's undergarments. And right now, she's seeing ads for faucets just like I am.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Things can get a little creepy, because these systems often make assumptions. They can tell that my wife and I live together. So, if she does online shopping for clothing, I can start getting ads for women's undergarments. And right now, she's seeing ads for faucets just like I am.
This happened to me about a month ago. My wife bought a new bra and suddenly my phone adds started trying to sell the same brand of bra to me.

Staffan

Legend
And recently, I’ve been getting ads for some evangelical ministry fronted by a pastor I’ve never heard of. As a Roman Catholic who does few religiously-oriented online searches for much beyond holiday mass times at Catholic churches, I have no clue as to what’s trigger8ng this,
From what I understand, there can be a few levels of separation between your search/browsing history and the ads you get. To make up an example, TPTB might have cottoned onto a correlation between "looks for fish recipes on Fridays" and being religious.

Dioltach

Legend
Recently, I used google to help me find a new shower head, and now my ads are all from Delta faucets and Moen, and general home improvement.
Some years ago I bought a shower head on Amazon. For weeks I got recommendations for shower heads. Because apparently they thought I was a collector or connoisseur or something, instead of someone who needed a new shower head in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads