OD&D How are your original dice holding up?

Emirikol

Adventurer
I didn't get any dice in the Holmes boxed set I bought back in 1980 (mine was one of the ones that had only chits), so I bought bunches of loose ones... the toy store that had all the gaming stuff in town had bins of them. I've tossed a few over the years that were irretrievably rounded and useless, but still have some. There are some oddities.... some of those '0-9 twice' D20s that stood in for D20s, D10s, and D100s; some other D20s that have 0-9 twice, but one set has the + sign on them. Still have some original basic dice.... I've added quite a few over the years....

I think the plus sign ones came with the MERP red boxes set. I had a white d20 and a gray one.

Last edited:

My original dice (red box basic) were incredibly crappy and quickly wore such that they no longer had good edges. I no longer have them to show, but they were awful.

Conversely I still use some Chessex dice I bought in the late 1990s.

aia_2

Custom title
I have never used the dice from the D&D sets... I used gamescience dice: the quality was better than the original D&D dice however i was often disappointed by the low results of both d6 and d8 (my pc used not to hurt too much his enemies during combat... He was a "gentle" cleric who worshipped life... At least i found a way to explain it)

Ps in the 90s i moved to chessex like many other players

aco175

Legend
I do not recall where the original red box dice went. I still have a d20 from back then which lost most of its corner angles with chips falling off so it rolls more like a ball now. It has been retired for some time and sits in an old coffee cup with some others. I did see it last year when we moved. The picture is sort of representative, but I copied from a google search. What cheap crap we had in the 80s, or did we just play that much.

1660045289947.png

delericho

Legend
My first sets were from the BECMI Basic and Expert sets. They don't see much use any more, but they're perfectly serviceable - were I ever minded to run a truly old school adventure, I might be tempted to also bring them back into the light.

Dioltach

Legend
I have most of the dice from my BECMI red and blue boxes, I think, plus a black d20 (with a wonky "20", for some reason) from my Dutch version of the original The Dark Eye set. They're all fine. They tell my newer dice stories of how it used to be back in the mid-80s.

Orius

Legend
My original dice work just fine. By the time they got to the Black Box, TSR had some decent quality dice, not the softer stuff that wore out:

V3t08zn.jpg

These dice are about the same quality as Chessex dice, and I've had them almost 29 years. Some of the numbers are showing a little bit of wear, though they're still readable. I had them over a year before I picked up my next two sets of dice. One was another TSR set, and the other was a set of translucent dice of various colors. The second TSR set is almost the same as this one, except with a blue d8.

My newest dice I got a few months ago. My sister picked up a set of bulk dice on Amazon when we started the campaign up again, and I scarfed up two sets.

q3G3h0P.jpg

They're don't seem as good as my Chessex sets, but they're decent quality. They seem to be better dice than the ones WotC packed in the 5e starter sets. They came with a nice dice bag too, and because it's not right for my sister to have a better dice bag than the DM, I ordered a big new dice bag for my collection.

ozPuMw0.jpg

This bag is supposed to hold about 300 dice, and I have just over 100, so I need to get more to fill it up.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I still have some of my original Basic Set dice. . . I'll dig them out and snap some pics a little later - but they are worn to heck - esp. the d20.

Remove ads