• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How big is your RPG collection?

How big is your RPG collection?

• Colossal - 1,000+ products....yes, people like me really do exist

Votes: 57 22.6%
  • Gargantuan - 500-1,000....I need a room (and might have one)

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Huge - 300-500....I'm your garden-variety pseudo-collector

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Large - 100-300....I guess this isn't just a passing phase?

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Medium - 20-100....a solid, playable, collection

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • Small - 5-20 - i'm a minimalist

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Tiny - <5 - just the basics

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • None - Who am I and why am I here?

Votes: 0 0.0%

grodog

Hero
Grodog, you and I both know you have always had one of the largest (and best) private collections on the planet. [snip] I just have to say, your collection seems to get more impressive by the day.

Thank you James, but knowing what I do about some of the other collections out there, I'm sure I'm not even in the top 20% :confused: ;)

On a slightly moribund note, I had to pack up the 650 linear feet of books and games this past weekend since the two big white bookshelves in our bedroom are being reclaimed by my in-laws. So now almost all of my collection is boxed up in the attic *sigh*....

In fact, I believe we've done business together on some OD&D books a few years ago.

Indeed!: your OD&D books were the first pre-5th printings that I owned, and they have been well-loved ever since! :D

Being that I no longer have a regular group, I tend to stick with the one-on-one 3E Ptolus game with my wife.

I just picked up a copy of Ptolus from the UK for £37.75, but I won't see it for a little while (the seller shipped it to harami, since they won't ship out of the UK). I'm looking forward to reading it, in particular how it interfaces with Banewarrens, which is one of my favorite 3.x era dungeons!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A question for those with the Gargantuan collections - do yo do a lot of DMing/GMing? Do you primarily use your own home brew world or a published world?
I used to DM frequently, but haven't done much in the last decade: just a few short campaigns, with the exception of one that ran a year and a half.

Most of what I run is homebrew or heavily modified published material.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Small and getting smaller as I cut down to what I really want, have a hope of running/playing, and resort to being less reliant on the imaginations of others. When possible I list the items I no longer want on eBay. Sometimes it works.

thastygliax

First Post
A question for those with the Gargantuan collections - do yo do a lot of DMing/GMing? Do you primarily use your own home brew world or a published world?
Mine is only Large, but I'll chime in anyway.

I do a lot of GMing. I rarely go for too long without running something--usually only a few months at most, though I did have about a year-long hiatus from GMing when we had our 2nd kid. (My hiatus from playing was only a couple months.) I enjoy world-building, so I usually prefer to use my own homebrew settings, and my longest campaigns have been my own settings.

The big exception to that has been Green Ronin's Freeport setting. I've used it for both a 3.0 campaign and a 3.5 campaign, and I've landed some proofreading, editing, and writing jobs with GR based on my fan pages for the setting. I msy run another Freeport campaign next year (system TBD), and I'm definitely going to try writing a Freeport LARP in 2011. Because of this investment in the setting, Freeport is the only collection I try to keep as complete as possible; I'm pretty sure the only items I don't own are the Freeport Companions for systems I'll never play, because they're pretty much just the same material converted over.

Talmek

Explorer
My collection is right at the medium/large range (just over 100 items) in physical books and box sets. Granted, I've only been playing/collecting since 2000 with D&D 3.0 and I've lost a good number of items over the years. Primarily my physical collection consists of D&D 3.5 items, with 4e and (now) 5e in there as well. Throw in a smattering of OWoD/NWoD systems and there you have it.

Somewhere around 450 as of last year's counting. I've been holding back on further acquisitions and getting only essential stuff (like 5e) or get-it-now-or-never (like the Numenera Reliquary), as I'm moving into a new home in December (bought the place in late 2013, but working had to be halted due to some legal issues with one of the previous owners of the plot). Once resettled, there are some collections I need -yeah right- to complete.

I'd guess about 75% of the items are some fashion of D&D/Pathfinder.

Crothian

First Post
I'm slowly slimming my collection down. It still in excess of a couple thousand books but last summer I did give away about 100 4e books and this summer I'm going to greatly trim down my 3e/Pathfinder collection.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My collection hasn't shrunk appreciably in the FIVE YEARS since I last posted in this thread. ;)

And it has started to grow again since the release of Numenera and its related products. Have some SW products on my radar. Yes, I also intend to get at least the Big 3 D&D books, too.

Remove ads