How Can You Politely Say, "Your Character Sucks?"

Herschel

Adventurer
And the optimized party is mysteriously barred from using the very same good tactics because...?

This means nothing, since all other things equal, assuming both parties are using similar tactics, the optimized party should always come out ahead.

You might try looking at the post I was responding to, but one thing 4E did was put more emphasis on team tactics rather than individual prowess. Leaders, controllers and defenders add a whole lot to a party when played well and allow for better rounded characters and "flavor spending". One of my main attractions to 4E was the superior 'team concept' rather than powergaming my character in to godhood without regard for any other character.

I also see many who appear to think optimization IS good tactics, which is kind of silly. The even more dynamic battlefield is a wonderful addition to the game and allows a lot more flexiility in character building.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I like how this idea "evolved". Though I might set the prerequisite at "15", 2 points higher than for most multi-class feats.
Yeah, class minimums wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Gloves of Ogre Strength (Heroic Tier)
Property: Your strength score sets to 18 if it's lower than 18.

Gloves of Giant Strength (Paragon Tier)
Property: Your strength score sets to 21 if it's lower than 21.

Gloves of Titan Strength (Epic Tier)
Property: YoursStrength score sets to 24 if it's lower than 24.
This, however, is a bad idea. All these do is invalidate the player's choice about stat allocation.

If someone cleverly finds a way to make a "bad" race work, or cleverly finds a better use for those point-buy points than putting an 18 (post-racial) in his primary attack stat, he should be allowed to do so. He should face consequences for doing so, just like the guy who puts a 20 (post-racial) in his primary attack stat faces consequences (usually in the form of two poor FRW defenses, low secondary stats for powers, and not qualifying for a bunch of feats). Items like those remove the consequences from one of these guys, but not the other. That's hardly fair.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads