How crucial is to have a map?

Inoeex

First Post
This is how I like to do things as well. It really helps keep the sense of exploration and discovery going for the players.

So you would always have a map with yourself if you could, right? Because the pleasure of being a GM is to depict your own world in the best way which players can see all the details like you do.

Inoeex

First Post
Maps are a great tool, when used in a manner aligned with your goals.

I have made my own maps...the software I've used depends on the type of map I want to make...

I'll have to look through my resources to find all the names. Not enough time right now.

I would really be grateful if I you could tell me the name of the software you are using to make your maps : )

Inoeex

First Post
Is a world map necessary? No. But it helps when you are trying to run a long-term campaign. Actually, I should say a "setting" map. You can run an entire campaign in a single city. But, whatever your setting, it helps to have at least a high-level map to help the players orient themselves to the setting.

You have provided so much information in your comment man, I thank you.
I am gonna look for all the names and the software you mentioned, I am pretty sure it will be extremely helpful.
I wish to find a user friendly map making software which can help me to make my maps the way I want, with acceptable details.

Is there any ways to find out how popular are P&PRPGs? I am wondering

Ah, gotcha. I will sometimes do hand-outs, but generally stick to just the narrative world. I’m good with words, but when it comes to visual art and design, that realm sadly escapes me. Heck, my dungeon maps are practically a crime against D&D.

Sorry that I was not clear abt the type of the maps, I am not talking about the world map. What I meant was something that helps you to give more details to your player but not verbally. Like an empty house, with a burning fire place inside it, with some books on the table in front of the window, with the carpet that is concealing the hidden door to the basement. Dont you think the player will have a better glimpse of the whole situation? That your player mostly never forget your story if he see the details with his/her own eyes while you are telling the story?

CydKnight

Explorer
Why dont you use map for every single movement? Are you saying that words are suffice enough and pictures cannot improve the image which players are having in their mind while they are playing the game? To be honest I would make a map for every single location of my scenario, sadly I could not find any free software for doing that.
The question was "How crucial is it to have a map?" Whether maps or "pictures" enhance playability is a different question than the OP question I answered. I think most would rather have access to maps than not but I fall short of saying they are crucial to every campaign.

Quickleaf

Legend
I would really be grateful if I you could tell me the name of the software you are using to make your maps : )

I forgot to follow up, so thanks for your reminder!

So I've extensively tried Campaign Cartographer 3 and a little Dundjinni back in 2006-2009, and I really didn't like those even though I'm used to working in a CAD-based environment. I just felt like the results I was getting for the money I was investing never achieved more than "fair to middling." Maybe CC3 has improved with new add-ons/changes, but I haven't been following after being disappointed.

These days, when I'm working on a product or something big, typically an overland map that I want to be pretty or a critical battle map for publication I use Adobe Photoshop (or Gimp). Here's an example of an overland map I made for my adventure The Beast of Graenseskov using Photoshop:

[SBLOCK=Photoshop example]
SvpJN9q.png
[/SBLOCK]

However, for quick-n-dirty maps I want for fleeting use at the table (or when I'm rushed), I've been favoring Dungeon Painter, which is a great web-based program that's in the process of becoming an app. Here's an example of raw output from Dungeon Painter before I touch it up:

[SBLOCK=Dungeon Painter example]
DzmXYGw.png
[/SBLOCK]

EDIT: I've also found a lot of pleasure in using Gaming Paper for my face-to-face games. It's rougher around the edges, but I've found that spending 15 minutes to pre-draw a map or two in advance works pretty well, and then I just need some black sheets of craft paper to cover up the areas of the map the players can't see yet. In fact, when I inquired about the possibility of isometric gaming paper, the awesome fellas at Gaming Paper chatted with me for a bit, created the product, then sent me out some complimentary rolls – we should be using those come July/Assembles once our gaming group reassembles from baby-making hiatus. Here's an example of a Gaming Paper map I made in advance of a Dragon Mountain session:

[SBLOCK=Gaming Paper example]
IgRWNti.jpg
[/SBLOCK]

There are also several Kickstarters happening right now for cartography software; the one I'm following is Dungeon Builder, an isometric mapper with hand-drawn tiles. Very cool project.

And finally, there are many other mapping resources I haven't listed. Some of these are linked from this hub: https://wiki.roll20.net/Useful_links_for_mapping Otherwise, I highly recommend joining the Cartographers Guild!

EDIT: As a closing thought [MENTION=6802927]Inoeex[/MENTION], I think the question you want to ask as a GM is "when is it crucial to have a map, and what sort of map?" For example, my more recent designs as a GM & adventure writer have 3D aspects – but communicating that to players not used to thinking in 3 dimensions (basically most people without a construction, engineering, architecture, or Lego Master Builder background ;) ) can be challenging. So having isometric maps I'm finding more important for my style of GMing/designing than a 1"=5 feet battle map.

Last edited:

DM Howard

Explorer
So you would always have a map with yourself if you could, right? Because the pleasure of being a GM is to depict your own world in the best way which players can see all the details like you do.

Do I have maps with me when I am running the game? Yes, of course, but those maps are behind the screen and not for the players to see. The only maps I tend to have out in front of the players, besides a battlemat or their own exploration maps, are world/region maps when and if appropriate.

Maps essential? No.
I think region maps are so beneficial though that I would never plan to run a campaign or an adventure without them. Can I? Sure. Have I? Yep, decades ago.

aramis erak

Legend
For the DM, maps ahead of time are beyond essential so you know how things fit together. An absolute must-have, in my opinion. (though the quality can be whatever, as long as you-as-DM can make sense of it)
Useful, not essential. I've run entire campaigns without a map in sight. Including no world map, no battlemaps.

Then again, I used to play the old infocom text adventures, and my mental maps are often as good as what I could put on paper...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Useful, not essential. I've run entire campaigns without a map in sight. Including no world map, no battlemaps.

Then again, I used to play the old infocom text adventures, and my mental maps are often as good as what I could put on paper...
I used to make elaborate maps of text adventures...only way I had of knowing where I was and what came next (or just before)! :)

Remove ads