How did you start?

What was your gaming "gateway"?

• (F)LGS

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Other retailer (B&N, Amazon, Walgreens, etc.)

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Family member (includes gift)

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • Friend (includes gift)

Votes: 121 39.2%
  • Through a club/organization

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • Played related wargame

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Played related computer game

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Heard about it and sought it out

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 29 9.4%

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
In 1974, my friend and I had been part of a wargames club for a little while (we had even played a number of games of Chainmail) when one Saturday a fella was running the new D&D game. He was running it with two of his own characters as he DMed but he was allowing others to make characters and join his main two as henchmen. We watched for a while and tried it out. Before long we had gotten a copy of our own. Fun! :)

*edit* I voted "Played related wargame" since we had previously played Chainmail but I think I could have just as easily voted "Through a club/organization " or "Friend" since both were also factors.

Last edited:

It was a simple progression for me. It started with Choose-your-own-adventure books, the the Fighting Fantasy Game books followed by the Basic Red Box, followed by the AD&D books. The books were from a school book club but all the D&D stuff was from a game store that has long since gone. We then had a group at school who played.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Nadaka

First Post
When I was a kid, me and my siblings would always play makebelieve. Later my brother was into gaming, He helped me create a character that had a magic ring that could turn me into a T-Rex. I have no idea what gaming system it was in. Yet again later I ended up moving in with my brother and played some WW and 2nd edition with him. From there I built my own systems for a few years until I found 3e and d20 modern.

Stalker0

Legend
I started my first year in college. A new friend of mine told me he was running a game. I had heard all of the sterotypes and seriously thought it was all cults and rituals, so I declined to play. He told just to come and watch. I was pretty nervous about it.

Well when I get there they tell I can't just watch I have to play. Well, a few hours in I was hooked:)

Merkuri

Explorer
I had read about it in a couple places and saw a couple D&D "kits" on sale in a local toy store. I was a little too old for toys at the time, but I still enjoyed the board games. There was a D&D boxed set (I don't know exactly what edition it was, but it was long before 3e and didn't have "Advanced" written on it, I think it was BD&D) was in the board games section and I decided to try it out. It had a huge game board with a dungeon layout, some plastic and pewter minis, and a whole boatload of cardboard minis representing monsters and doors (you would place the doors where you wanted on the dungeon board to represent the actual layout of your dungeon). I also picked up a smaller box (that did have "Advanced" written on it, I think that was AD&D 2e) that included an abbreviated player's handbook and some pre-made characters. I may be getting the two kits mixed up because I picked them up at the same time and learned them around the same time. I usually was the DM and my sister played one or more characters. I was a horrible DM, but we still had fun. I didn't pick up the actual books until a few months later when my sister and I discovered a mutual friend knew how to play and lent us his books to look at.

Pierced

First Post
My best friend at the time asked for dungeon the board game and got D&D basic instead. I just love how parents listen. anyways started playin with him his sister and some friends.

derelictjay

Explorer
I guess I could say computer related games, they were the old gold box games put out by SSI. But truth, I'd seen advertisements in old comic books, and I paged through a few in the local Half Price Books, long before those games came out. Another influence, wierdly enough, was a strict woman in my church showing a film on things for children with "satanic" influence, there was D&D of course, they also included the He-Man toy line in the film, and I knew those weren't satanic (partially because I owned some of them), and it really piqued my curiousity as to what really was in the books.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I learned about D&D in junior high from a friend. I borrowed a book - the Monster Manual, which, at the time, was the first and only hardback RPG book available. I was hooked. I found a copy of the blue cover "Holmes" edition, with art by Dave Sutherland, at a Waldenbooks. I soon had to have the AD&D books as they appeared, and the group I gamed with - all guys I knew in junior high - only briefly played the "basic" game before we started playing AD&D.

It went years before I ever saw a game shop. There just weren't any around. Most of my purchases of game books were at bookstores. My best source for much of the 1980s was an independently-run bookstore that had a nice selection of game material tucked away in the back of the place.

I was introduced by friends. Eventually they showed me Toronto's various FLGSs. I bought my first books myself from an FLGS, but I bought the 3.5 core rules from Amazon.

Remove ads