D&D 5E How do Custom Backgrounds work?

Slit518

Adventurer
This is the way I have assumed they work, first you come up with a Background idea, then you choose 2 Skills, and any combination of 2 from Tools or Languages. These additions must make sense for the Background.
Then, each Background has its own unique Feat. So, you team up with the DM and make a custom Feat that fits the background.
My question is, could you use a regular Feat as long as it isn't powerful and makes sense with the Custom Background, an example being:
Shaman
Skills: Nature, Medicine
Tools: Herbalist Kit, Poisoner's Kit or Language, whichever makes more sense
Feat: take the Magic Initiate Feat -- Druid
Would that be reasonable instead of making a custom feat because it fits the flavor of the Background?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
If you're talking about Background as in Outlander or Folk Hero, there wouldn't be a Feat associated with that. There'd be a Background ability, like the Outlander's ability to find food or the Folk Hero's ability to find people who'll give them shelter.

Slit518

Adventurer
If you're talking about Background as in Outlander or Folk Hero, there wouldn't be a Feat associated with that. There'd be a Background ability, like the Outlander's ability to find food or the Folk Hero's ability to find people who'll give them shelter.
Yeah, their ability.
So the player and the DM would need to work together to make a Custom Ability for the Custom Background?

HammerMan

Legend
This is the way I have assumed they work, first you come up with a Background idea, then you choose 2 Skills, and any combination of 2 from Tools or Languages. These additions must make sense for the Background.
yes custom basicly lets the player pick any 2 skills and combine 2 tools or languages.
Then, each Background has its own unique Feat.
no... oh no, a feature not a feat.

So, you team up with the DM and make a custom Feat that fits the background.
My question is, could you use a regular Feat as long as it isn't powerful and makes sense with the Custom Background, an example being:
Shaman
Skills: Nature, Medicine
Tools: Herbalist Kit, Poisoner's Kit or Language, whichever makes more sense
Feat: take the Magic Initiate Feat -- Druid
Would that be reasonable instead of making a custom feat because it fits the flavor of the Background?
giving the a feat is way OP, giving THAT feat is one of the more powerful. in general maybe look to other ones and just pick a feature from an existing one.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Yeah, their ability.
So the player and the DM would need to work together to make a Custom Ability for the Custom Background?
Yeah, or take something very similar to one of the ones there. Maybe the Shaman can always find out where the answer to a question is (like the Sage ability, IIRC) to pick one example.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
All of the Background Features are social and/or exploration in nature. Many have significant roleplaying hooks as well.

An example would be from my Tinker Background, which basically channels MacGyver.

Feature: I Can Fix It

Facing a mundane device that is broken you are able to fix it, even if you don’t have the proper supplies and parts. This repair may only last a few minutes or a few hours, though it is enough for the device to last through it’s next use. You may wind up using a copper coin, or a bit of string, or a knife during this repair. This feature can be used to fix ammunition, traps, broken wheels, or other adventuring equipment. The repair is not permanent.

I've got about a dozen you can add to your game. Herbalist, Messenger, and Hunter are next up on my list.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
In Adventurers League play a Custom Background MUST use the Feature of a different, official, background. This may work well for other Custom Backgrounds too.

Remove ads