• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How do I create an NPC Locksmith in 4e?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Who did I insult?

Apparently no one.

I still think you're getting too caught up on structure, especially on a PC-style structure rather than an NPC / Monster style structure. As Cadfan said, this is an edition where the DM doesn't need to worry much about rule structure when creating stuff; just having numbers that are sane-ish compared to the party.

[sblock=Monster Structure]Generic NPC "Monster"
Hit Points: 8 + Constitution + 8 x Level
AC: 12 + Level
Defenses: 10 + Level
Attack: 4 + Level vs. AC.
2 + Level vs. Defenses.
See DMG for Damage guidelines.

Trained Skills: 9 + 1/2 Level. Generally 2 or less.
Untrained Skills: 2 + 1/2 Level
[/sblock]

I do hope it all works out for you.

Shackled City does rock.

Generic NPC "Monster"
Hit Points: 8 + Constitution + 8 x Level
AC: 12 + Level
Defenses: 10 + Level
Attack: 4 + Level vs. AC.
2 + Level vs. Defenses.
See DMG for Damage guidelines.

Trained Skills: 9 + 1/2 Level. Generally 2 or less.
Untrained Skills: 2 + 1/2 Level

Well, you do have the added correction factor of being able to set monster/NPC ability scores, so you've got another pretty wide fudge factor in there (Stats ranging between say 2 and 20 gives you -4 to +5 for a 10 point range). Note also that monsters often have arbitrary "species wide" variations (usually a +2 to certain skills, see Orcs as an example, though oddly it failed to make it into the NPC racial stat block).

Turtlejay

First Post
. . .Those minutes couldnt tell me that Joseph likes dried oranges or that he has a daughter he dotes on with brown curly hair or that he gets easily offended if somebody doubts one of his locks but forgives quickly or that he has a real heated competition going with his cousin across town ... if you mention the cousins name he might knock the price of his services down a little making sure you don't go to the cousin. The description of his unstained and finely tooled leather apron, is something I might spend time considering. Or how his hair is shot through with black and gray a minor clue that the daughter is an adopted war waif ... her eyes are blue and his are brown. I might think about how his shop smells of clean oils with a metallic twang to them. I might consider his long tapered fingers with tightly trimmed nails like he bites them. . . .

You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to Garthanos again.

I tried man. . .

Jay

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads