Planescape How do people play these days?

Nordom

Explorer
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get back into online playing. I used to be a regular on www.planewalker.com but that site now seems defunct. Just curious what's the most popular way of playing online these days: is it PBP on forums, or Zoom/Skype, Discord or a different program?

I got very excited when I read that Planescape is returning to 5e next year, and I'm wondering if any Planescape campaigns are being run on this forum or on a different platform that people know about.

Appreciate any guidance for this old timer.

Depends what is "popular"...

A lot of new and or younger players like Discord, mostly so they can voice chat.

I still PBP on some of the Ye Old PBP sites. Play by post works great for older gamers who can post each day or two.

Audiomancer

Adventurer
I currently play in one campaign on Roll20. Another campaign is on a brief hiatus while the DM shifts it over from Roll20 to FoundryVTT. Both campaigns use Discord for voice chat and messaging.

Lycurgon

Adventurer
My regular group and another group I played with once both used Roll20 for maps and rolls and used Discord for voice and/or video. We have found Roll20 voice to not be reliable. The reason we use Roll20 is that it is free to use. You can pay for extras, which one of our DMs does but it is not necessary. You can create characters with DnDBeyond and use it for rolling with the results going into Roll20 if you use the Chrome Extension Beyond20.

Stormonu

Legend
Thank you!

Will check them out shortly. Any big reason(s) why you use roll20 over the others?
The base portion of it was free, honestly. So until I was up to speed on how it works, I didn't pay for anything - "try before you buy".

It does take some time to learn it in depth properly - about an hour or two of fiddling with it for me to learn the DM side of things - importing and setting up maps, how to build/import NPCs, build a playlist and such. Player side of it is much quicker to learn, especially if the DM has imported characters and such.

As others have mentioned, the voice chat in Roll20 is not very reliable. But it can be used with discord or other chat programs for that portion and still get good usage out of the other parts of Roll20.

Remove ads