D&D 5E How do societies communicate across distances in your world?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Both of the linked backgrounds have choices regarding the means of conveying the message. The Far Talker follows convention with a table that can be random. The Messenger uses a tiered set of selections with examples and no dX. Do y'all have a preference?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I ended up looking up the sorcerous news spell from the Conan d20 game, I've pasted it below. It could probably be adapted to 5e, though perhaps the news should be randomised (or not, if the DM wants something specific passed on).
Sorcerous News
Power Point Cost: 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: One hour
Range: 2,000 miles plus 1,000 miles/level
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes plus one
minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 12 ranks, astrological
prediction.
Skill Check: Knowledge (arcana) (see below)

Certain animals, supernatural creatures and high-level sorcerers alike are connected by a sorcerous ‘news network’ that keeps them informed of major developments around the world. Sorcerous news allows the sorcerer to listen in on this network and send messages out. Sorcerous news may only be cast during the hours of darkness.

A Knowledge (arcana) check is made. The check result indicates the type of news gained:
Check Result:News
15: Movements of major artefacts such as the Heart of Ahriman
20: The sudden appearance or reappearance of a sorcerer of great power (level 15+)
25: The death of a king
30: The plundering of an ancient tomb

The precise form and extent of the news given is always up to the Games Master but it should usually include the location and time-scale of any events covered. Sending out a message with sorcerous news does not require a check. However, the news will not carry far unless the various messengers who pass it on regard it as highly interesting.

Material Component: Assorted incenses and powders worth 20 silver pieces
What I like about the spell is that sometimes news that the sorcerer sends out might not be passed on. It's also open to everyone with access to the spell so if you're trying to pass on some information to an allied mage, an enemy mage might also hear of it. I've no idea who the various messengers are, they could be the other sorcerers casting the spell or perhaps they are entities from the outer dark filtering the messages. I'd imagine in DnD that Arcanoloths would have a vested interest in setting up this sort of news network.

For poor people: Good old mail coaches take the mail up and down the roads. This is the affordable (if somewhat slow) way to communicate.

Rich people and powerful institutions can employ spellcasters that can cast Sending. This is however limited, and you need to be able to trust your spellcaster (unless the spellcaster became rich and influential, and no extra spellcaster is needed).

Oofta

Legend
While message stones can be purchased, they are not cheap (base price 300 GP in my campaign) and, of course only send short messages but they are used by the wealthy and for important messages. In other cases there can be things like animal messenger, although that is not necessarily reliable.

So more communication over distances than we had in the real world before the telegraph but it's still limited.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Mostly by letters traveling by ship.

The uber-wealthy can send messages via sending, but even major cities only have 1-3 casters who can do sending, so those are very limited.

jgsugden

Legend
There are many methods.

Messengers are common. Travelers going from one place to another in a port or large market will often stop by a postal office and accept parcels, letters and other materials to deliver during their travels. Some are prepaid. Others are to be paid upon delivery. My world has a surface area 12 times greater than the earth, so some of these messages may take decades to reach a final destination. It is also, obviously, a highly unreliable method.

Magical Messengers are also sometimes used, especially when the taregt is within a hundred miles. These may be animal messenger spells, in rare cases they may be small constructs (like a homunculus) or bound elementals/fey/fiends/celestials assigned to the duty.

Sending is the first choice of those with resources. In my setting, 3rd level spellcasters are fairly rare, so these services are not cheap - but it is service that can be hired in larger towns, and is one of the primary reasons why some rich houses hire mages into their service. Sneding stones are also a fairly common magic item in my world.

Dual Scrying is a technique used by the very rich and powerful. With this, two spellcasters capable of scrying will scry each other at the same time.

Portals are like permanent open teleportation circles. They tend to have high value, and are often well guarded. There are a few places that serve as 'hubs'to which many places connect. You generally need to negotiate to gain access to a portal to reach a hub, and then negotiate once you reach the hub to be able to travel from there to another location. Doing so can be insanely expensive. The greatest hub like this in my setting is the City of Doors, my version of Sigil (in the Astral Plane), wherethere are tens of thousands of portals. Some beings use these to move product.

There are also tiny portals, often 1 foot in diameter, that are used to connect spaces for purposes of moving products.

Spelljammers may also be used to carry product. These vehicles fly across the skies of my Prime Plane, as well as between worlds on the plane and through the Underdark Dyson Sphere, and through the Astral Sea between Portals ... and they are often used to move large amounts of cargo.

Teleportation is the method of the truly powerly.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Magical Messengers are also sometimes used, especially when the taregt is within a hundred miles. These may be animal messenger spells, in rare cases they may be small constructs (like a homunculus) or bound elementals/fey/fiends/celestials assigned to the duty.
This has made me imagine a postal service of golems. Untiring the continue on with assigned route, possibly carrying the mail inside them. Only the most powerful of foes will mess with an iron golem, so it should make it through to its destination.

Mostly messengers either humanoid or animal. Some limited use of magical communication but this is unreliable due to the Wild Magic and Anti-Magic Storms that plague the focused hemisphere in this era.

Remove ads