D&D 5E How do you avoid overshadowing while applying ability scores as rolled?

clearstream

(He, Him)
This follows up my earlier thread. For my next campaign I want my players (who have high system mastery) to allocate their scores as rolled. I also want a lower range than in the PHB i.e. nearer 3d6 than 4d6k3.

People pointed out the undesirable possibility of overshadowing. Where a player with less lucky rolls is in the shadow of another's very lucky rolls.

How do you mitigate or avoid that?

[EDIT] I like the redrick roller mentioned in my previous thread, and want to consider also 3d4+4, or bounding rules like "must nett positive" or "must sum to 60" as others suggested.

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
If you don't like one PC being overshadowed by another then random attribute generation seems an odd choice. It's almost always coupled with a blasé approach to PC balance.

Old school play typically mitigates the effects thru:
1) Multiple PCs per player.
2) Lots of hirelings and henchmen.
3) Frequent PC death.

A non-old school approach would be to target bennies, such as magic items, at the low stat PCs.

S'mon

Legend
People pointed out the undesirable possibility of overshadowing. Where a player with less lucky rolls is in the shadow of another's very lucky rolls.

I give everyone a free '15' to put wherever they want. In 5e D&D that means they can be sure of getting a +3 bonus in their prime attribute, same as with standard array & point buy, while very few people are going to roll a +4 or +5 starting attribute, especially if you use 3d6 rather than best 3 of 4d6.

IME the game depends not on everyone being the same overall, but on everyone having a similar bonus in their most-rolled stat - STR barbarians, DEX rogues, WIS clerics, INT wizards, CHA warlocks et al.

S'mon

Legend
It's not the poor rolls that break things though, it's the good ones. One character with a couple of 17s or 18s is Superman amongst a bunch of Jimmy Olsen's.

And it's amazing how often some players manage to roll a string of 17s and 18s when not observed, I blame Schrödinger's cat.

I do use the cunning GM tactic of observing all rolls! Or if player prefers, I'll roll for them away from the table, & send them their rolls.

I don't find that "one character with a couple of 17s or 18s is Superman amongst a bunch of Jimmy Olsen's" - that happens with roll-then-assign, I've never seen it with roll-in-order.

Yaarel

He Mage

The best way to get both randomness and balance is:

Decide an array that you find acceptable.

For example, you might be happy with:

• 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Then roll randomly to determine which ability each number goes in:

• d6 to assign 14, d5 to assign 13, d4 to assign 12, d3 to assign 11, d2 to assign 10

Remove ads