• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you build your campaign worlds?

I draw the world map, plop down the major civilization centers, and then use geography to help me write a brief history of the development of the peoples.

joe b.

Sarellion

Explorer
I used my magic decks as inspiration and worked on nations where I could incorporate the theme of the deck.

I used it for a bird nation, forested realms of mighty circles of enhantresses and stuff like that.

Later on I added stuff that I wanted to experiment with like new kinds of magic warriors based on the elements, other kinds of magic and new ideas for countries: An alliance between desert nomads and fire giants that wants to return to old glory, a nation of moon worshippers integrating sun worshippers who fled their homeland and black africanlike people colonizing other lands :cool:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I ususally start out with some broad ideas about nations/city-states, organizations, and the species found in the world and build from there. Then I start with the spot that I have the most ideas for, and branch out from there. The next thing I know (usually 2-3 weeks down the line) I have plenty of ideas to run a campaign on.

Kane

Storminator

First Post
I may well have invented my last world. The way my gaming is going these days I'm not likely to tap out this world anytime soon.

And I started it as an anti-Forgotten Realms. There were a number of things about the Realms that bothered me when I was introduced to them at the end of 2E, and I wanted to take every one of them, turn each problem on its ear, and throw it all together.

So I've got a duo-theism, no one knows what happens in the afterlife, not all base classes are available in every region, and magic treasures are rare and hard to find.

I use it for both the PBeMs I run, and I'll use it in my upcoming commoner game.

PS

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Sketchy map and notes on the wider world.

Everything else gets more detail when the PC's go there.

I purposely leave as much blank space as I can, in case I want to include something I haven't got later.

AeroDm

First Post
I am analytical as all get out. I plan out what I want in the world, themes, and things that I really think don't work. Then I set out fulfilling those goals. I try to keep things really simple because I find that players don't embrace anything unless they "get it" right away, and complicated things generally are... complicated.

This gives me another thought though- how many of you ever "finish" your worlds? Or even further, how quick until you start over again?

fusangite

First Post
I used to start with maps and then fill things in but about seven years ago, began working outwards from theme. I come up with a single central concept powering the campaign and then extrapolate specific places and times from that; my current campaign is currently based on a quasi-Daoist cyclical element system with six elements/ages/gods, etc. which is combined with the Aztec theory of the tripartite soul and our current understanding of climate change. Once I came up with that, I then picked the age in which the characters -- now, as the characters move around this world, I simply generate new geography and situations based on this core thematic content.

I hope that makes sense.

fusangite

First Post
Aero DM asks,

This gives me another thought though- how many of you ever "finish" your worlds? Or even further, how quick until you start over again?

Yes. My worlds finish too. There is a central theme about the world that powers the narrative; that theme plays itself out and is resolved in the narrative. Then the world is done.

clark411

First Post
First I build what I want my campaign to be.

Epic?
Morality Play?
Standard DND Playground?

Then, I look at what I'm making, and design a backdrop that will help foster that feeling in the world.

Epic- Think big, sweeping scenery... large and powerful nations not so muddled in bureaucracy as opposing thoughts on what to do with Big Issues (like say, a Ring of Power in LOTR)
Morality Play- How can I have the pantheon reflect the virtues of the heroes and villains... how can the very world itself reflect the ideals of the time? Think broken lands in the hands of broken kings, and "good" civilizations reflecting just that.
Standard DND Playground- Ok, towns, capitals, villages, forests of monsters, mountains of monsters, dungeons and ruins here and here. Power centers, foils, plot droppers, magic shops, and reflecting the established pantheons and alignments.

Those are just a few options, but after that, usually I determine how i'm going to approach the exact material itself. Picking one or more of the following is a good way to handle it.

Pantheon- Wars and struggles of the gods result in things that have changed the world, and the PCs are dealing with that sort of thing, perhaps the Gods even still are petty and fighting
Nations- Draw a continent, make the lines that divide them... possibly think of what those lines mean and how they were made.
Families- Design great houses or sketch out the ranks of churches, then create tensions and alliances between them all. From this, create stories and from this, create a setting.
Individuals- Design a handful of people, and decide how they will act in the presence of your PCs. What do they want, what will they offer? NPC 1 wants the Goblin Goblet deep in the heart of Fanurhar... sounds like a good place to start the campaign.

Then, after that, it's usually good to make a rather detailed anchor for the group... This can be the city they are starting in, or a faction they're aligned or opposed to. Something that will give you enough to work with in the first session, and enough that will give the players something to bite into when your campaign is going, and they're pleading for stimulus.

On the whole, I'd guess I design from the top down, as I find this provides more realism, and makes more sense in the long hall as they put the pieces together, getting a better sense of the big picture.

MarauderX

Explorer
I usually start with a 'feel' to the kingdom/empire/state the PCs are in, then add personalities to each major city and any noteworthy towns. It's easy to fill in the surrounding terrain with woods, hills, plains, etc. once you start getting a feel for how civilized you want to make the different nations, and once that's set a dialogue starts to develop with each town in relation to the wilds, hostile countries, internal resentment of the empire, whatever. Throwing in the PCs as citizens becomes an afterthought almost, as they will meld to fit the places you have created and will interact with most anyone within the places you have only developed with a passing thought.

Using the tables in the DMG is ok, but doesn't lend itself to making a lot of sense when the PCs venture from town to town unless you have spent time on how they trade and relate in advance - too much time for me to work it all out, so I just go by what feels right and add variety and adventure as necessary if the players ask for it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads