How do you create an adventure when it can be about "anything?"

Well in a campaign I often just listen to the players and steal their ideas. Makes it easier on me and the players feel like they're smart - "I was right all along!!".

But I usually start with something I just want to run. E.g, maybe I want to run a cybercops adventure and they are hunting down a robot. I then get them to tell me why. And then the theft begins!

For an adventure on Anything, I would just begin with usual stuff.
PCs are Witness or required to interact with a single event. May be an attack, a murder, a missing person, a robbery, a strange phenomena.
Then I let the wheel roll.
The adventure will build itself using the dice, myself, players interests.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
If I remember correctly Cypher uses a Descriptor - Type - Verb system to build characters eg “Clumsy -Noodle Cook - who Needs no weapon” or “Agile - Hunter (explorer) - raised by apes” or “ Virtuous - Warrior - who Defends the weak”

I’d start there with the players generating ideas of the characters they want to play. As GM I’d do the same thing creating the NPC antagonist ”Genius-Inventor (adept) -who Seeks world domination” or “Cruel - Hierophant (speaker) - who Rages against non-humans”

The three example characters and two NPCs I came up with above all suggest a different style of game and then its just about deciding on Genre conventions (Is there magic, monsters, weird science?) and an inciting incident for the players to start interacting

Using the Character Arc is also a huge benefit - even if its just defining the character Motive and Opening ie How they got to be Here in this scenario.
Character Motives are great for driving play

Remove ads