• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Deal With Splatbooks?

How Do You Handle Splatbooks?

• Anything goes!

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • Anything published by Wotc goes!

Votes: 75 24.5%
  • Approval/disapproval on a case-by-case basis.

Votes: 205 67.0%
  • Some things restricted at campaign start, everything else allowed.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • Limited number of options (e.g. based on character level).

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Core rules only!

Votes: 29 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 17 5.6%

airwalkrr

Adventurer
There are several common approaches I have seen to how DMs deal with additions to the core rules. One is to allow pretty much anything the player wants (I always see these campaigns getting out of hand). Another is to limit the sourcebooks to only WotC books. This option usually leads to very powerful characters as well. Other DMs simply approve or disapprove of things on a case-by-case basis. Some create a list of restricted or "not allowed" items that are not to be used in the campaign. Still other DMs come up with various systems of allowing players a limited number of options (like one feat, spell, or magic item per level). Occassionally DMs simply use the core rules alone and let very little "splat" taint their campaign. I am sure there are other systems out there. So how do you usually handle it?

maggot

First Post
Varies by campaign:
1. Core rules only, plus some house rules.
2. Core rules plus one splat book chosen at char gen.
3. Core rules plus one splat at first level, add a new feat or spell every other level.
4. Anything goes if approved by DM.
5. Core rules plus limited set of options at start, more books available as campaign progresses (plot based, not level based).

Almost all of it works out without getting too far out of hand. All DMs reserve the right to reject things, some DMs have a list of "warning items" or "banned items", but all are more than reasonable.

caudor

Adventurer
If I buy it, I'm sure going use it...or at least keep the option(s) available should I decide to do so.

I'll probably never use everything in the splat books, but I enjoy knowing I could if I wanted.

Nyaricus

First Post
The first three, in a variety of ways.

"Anything goes, and anythign by WotC for sure - although there are some case-by-case diapprovals." Generally, this is followed by "... so long as I own it, or have had enough time to study it."

For example, the PHB, PHBII, FRCS, PGtF, RoF, SC and a class from the internet were all used to create my current groups characters - and the BoED was asked to be used, but that was denied becuase that PCs character revolved around VoP. Just one example.

cheers,
--N

FireLance

Legend
1. Anything by WotC is generally OK, with a few specific restrictions and house rules called out at the start of the campaign.
2. Some material is labelled "core" - this could include books apart from the PH and DMG, e.g. Eberron Campaign setting.
3. Players may select one non-core option per character level.

Arkhandus

First Post
I ban stuff on a case-by-case basis, but most of the time it's only if a player asks about something or mentions it; I don't waste my time combing through books and analyzing every spell, item, and class to decide if it's broken, so I just inspect the ones a player actually considers taking (before deciding if they will be allowed to take it or not).

I usually allow anything that I have direct, personal, hardcopy access to, within certain limits, and then I ban any parts of those materials that I deem overpowered or unsuitable (like: no, you will not play a spellfire channeler in Greyhawk :\ ; and the frenzied berserker isn't a prestige class, it's a barbarian by another name, so no dice), if they aren't easy enough to houserule minor changes for.

There are only a small handful of things I outright ban from the start (like frenzied berserkers, forsakers, foe hunters, a few spells, a few magic items, and most everything that isn't in a physical book I own or can borrow). There are many 3rd-party books though that I'll just ban outright if the player intends to use them (I've seen more 3rd-party books used to break games than I have WotC materials; Mongoose's spellbook-thingy, I'm lookin' at you... :mad: ). I don't have a high opinion of WotC in this regard either, but higher than most of the other publishers, and at least in 3.0 books there was little in need of powering-down from any given book (barring all that Forgotten Realms uber-power brinksmanship). Many things I'll just make a quick and dirty houserule for, if the players encounter them or want to use them (if I deem them too unbalanced; minor imbalance doesn't bother me).

I rarely allow anything from books designed for campaign settings other than what I'm running at the time, and I rarely allow monster PCs (but I'm not intriniscally opposed to them; just would rather not see many in campaigns that are intended for a more civilized/social bent; I have no problem with running or playing a monster-centric campaign, but haven't had the chance for one yet).

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
For my next campaign: PhB, XPH and WotC Complete series. Options from Unearthed Arcana if needed.

All with a caveat of 'Don't make broken characters, please'. I'll tend to look over characters and vet them. Also discuss concepts/directions with the players that are into those things...

Previous to that it used to be PhB + 1 core book. Which is good!

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I keep a homebrew campaign document that contains a list of suitable races, templates, classes, PrC's, feats, psionics and spells. Any new materials get added to that list ready for the start of the next campaign.

just__al

First Post
Up until now I've allowed the players the first four 3.5 complete books. One campaign Races of the wild is also "in play" I've allowed material from some of the other newer books on a case by case basis (but only WOTC stuff) and a few specific things from unearthed arcana like action points and the variant monk styles.

Remove ads