• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you feed your pet mind flayer?

Corsair

First Post
Leadership nothin!

I just had a great idea for an Illithid Thrallherd. Food comes to you, and more comes when your first food dies!

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
Well, sentience is based on intelligence. So maybe you can get some cows etc, and cast fox's cunning on them. A 6 int is enough to be sentient. It might not be as tasty as that 18 int wizard in the tower, but it should do.

Anti-Sean

First Post
MonkeyDragon said:
Well, sentience is based on intelligence. So maybe you can get some cows etc, and cast fox's cunning on them. A 6 int is enough to be sentient. It might not be as tasty as that 18 int wizard in the tower, but it should do.

Are mountain crystals a material component of the spell?

"We've secretly replaced Shuluth's dinner with a cow's brain enchanted by our party wizard, Fol'jhurr. Let's see if he notices!"

Does a mind flayer actually need to eat brains to survive, or is it just a preferred meal? Would they count as a carnivore? If so, a Murlynd's Spoon/Sustaining Spoon would give it enough food to survive. Perhaps you could cast a Prestidigitation spell on the resulting gruel to make it a bit more palatable. Knowing how to simulate the taste of brains is another matter entirely...

ARandomGod

First Post
Anti-Sean said:
Does a mind flayer actually need to eat brains to survive, or is it just a preferred meal? Would they count as a carnivore? If so, a Murlynd's Spoon/Sustaining Spoon would give it enough food to survive. Perhaps you could cast a Prestidigitation spell on the resulting gruel to make it a bit more palatable. Knowing how to simulate the taste of brains is another matter entirely...

Excellent idea. You can supliment real brains when foes are available. A simple Ring of Sustenance should also do the job, magicallistically speaking.

Kae'Yoss said:
No. IMO they disqualify from the race as soon as they do. :confused:

Have you ever eaten chili? Did it come from a can? Do you KNOW what was in it?

'nuff said.

Anti-Sean

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Excellent idea. You can supliment real brains when foes are available. A simple Ring of Sustenance should also do the job, magicallistically speaking.

Oooh, even better - and cheaper, too! Depending on the limits of magic ring resizing, I think he'd earn boatloads of style points by wearing the ring around his tentacles, binding them together to symbolize his dedication to not feed (if he were so inclined to do so, that is). Although the fact that it takes a week to reattune yourself to it could pose a problem if he slips from his diet...

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
MonkeyDragon said:

So the cow is calmly living it's cow life, when suddenly it is much more intelligent and aware of its surroundings:

"Why, I feel so inspired! We cows have been going about things all wrong! We could record our moos through a series of written symbols and pass our knowledge along to other cows! And we can harvest our own waste to generate methane to power machinery! This new insight is incredible! Wait, what's that thing coming towards me... it's like a human with a squid for a head... why do I suddenly know what a squid is?...oh well, let's see what it wants...GAHHH!!!!"

ARandomGod

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Yes

No

Yes. And brain was not among the ingredients

Is that your excuse? :p

Wow. So you're saying you've seriously never eaten canned chili or chili from an unknown origin?

Well, I have. Many people I know have. I personally enjoy telling them that brains ARE among the ingredients. Generally speaking, of course.

Remove ads